Windows 7 as minimum requirement for Xojo 2.1 and up

Starting with Xojo 2.1 the minimum requirement for the target Windows is Windows 7. There’s no way to compile an EXE that will run on Windows Vista based systems.

Windows Vista extended support ends in April 2017 (ok, you can cut this), but extended Support für Windows Server 2008 (R1, SBS) ends 2020. There are a lot Windows 2008 Servers around today. Software development for these systems with Xojo is no longer possible. 4 Years before Microsoft ends support for the platform.

I don’t think this is a well thought decision… Is it?

then of course there are those that believe Vista was not a well thought out decision either :slight_smile:

FYI… WIn 7 is the minimum for Visual Studio 2015 as well… so even Microsoft has moved on

I’m not talking about “Windows Vista”, I’m talking about “Windows Server 2008” which is based on the Vista Platform. And I’m talking about a platform that is supported by Microsoft until 2020.

I doubt there is any laws, rules or guidelines for software support as there is for certain types of other products (such as cars), where in the United States, a car manufacturer is only required to make parts available for 7 years beyond the stop of production (almost all of them go way beyond that)… but the point is, 2008 was 8 years ago, so if that guideline is in effect, then Xojo stopped support after the 7 year requirement…

Its not like you don’t have the option of using a previous verison of Xojo until 2020 if you so desire… but you cannot expect them to throttle there progress to support an 8 year old legacy…

I am sorry, I don’t know what “Xojo 2.1” is…

Do you mean “2014R2.1” ?

Seriously, if you have a lot of users under Vista, 2016R1 is not a bad version. I don’t know if many Vista users have 4K screens, but you even have HiDPI support.