Windows 10.. wherefore art thou?

(and I know that wherefore art thou means ‘why are you…’)

I downloaded Windows 10 in my Win7 VM after giving it an extra 30Gb to play with.
It took all day to download after America woke up, but once it reached 100% and offered to restart, what came up afterwards was… WIndows 7
No errors, no apologies, but no Windows 10

Just curious: anyone else seen that happen?

Yes. Technically, it happened after the download and after some of the upgrade process was done. Based on reseach I did, it would seem that it happens when the installation program hits a roadblock that it cannot handle. In my case, it was an old scsi device and one corrupted user profile that I had just forgotten about in Windows 7. Once both issues were fixed, the upgrade proceeded smoothly.

There should be a log of the failed upgrade. You can search the error message to find how to reslove the issue.

its back to downloading again now.
God knows what it did with the last Gbs it downloaded… :frowning:

Maybe it will complete while it is still 29 June…

Chances are it will fail at the same place it did the first time around. That is what happened ot me. 3 times before I decided to investgate further… I am a slow learner… Make sure you are aroung to watch it fail and record the error messages. Based on the error message, there are different fixes to use or perform.

I just grab the prepackaged VM’s from modern.ie
Download unpack & use

Is any ID or account needed?
Because the page (at modern.ie) refers to Edge; and I cant find any link to download Win 10 itself.

Scroll down so you can see where it says
[i]Free tools for cross-browser testing

No PC? No problem. Our tools and virtual machines are free and cross-platform, so you can test your site today on your favorite device—even a Mac.
[/i[

And click “Virtual Machines”
Then select which one you want
There’s a pile

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

[quote]I just grab the prepackaged VM’s from modern.ie
Download unpack & use[/quote]
I do too.
But this is upgrading my actual machine with development software &c &c, eg Xojo installed.
Turning 7 into 10

Got it. Thank you very much.

You can download/create an iso for keeps. Then upgrade with it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

From your initial post I assumed you were updating a VM since you said [quote]I downloaded Windows 10 in my Win7 VM after giving it an extra 30Gb to play with.[/quote]

True.
That VM IS my windows development environment. I have a couple of real machines I test the final build on, but its convenient to have the VM (Windows 7) and the Mac able to share folders.

That is a good idea in most cases. The issue I had with this particular Win 7 computer (the only one with a major problem out of a dozen I upgraded) was documented as needing to be fixed before upgrade, whether upgrading from windows update, or from an ISO. But I second the recommendation. With the new licencing, if the worst happens on a computer, simply reiinstall from the iso and the licence will reinstall itself automatically when Windows checks home for activation.

Done that.

… but done that way it is asking for a Windows 10 serial number.

Im back to my 3rd Upgrade ‘Assistant’ download of Windows 10 now. (Why cant it see where it saved it last time??)

This is why my main machine is a Mac. :wink:

I understand Windows 10 will activate with the Windows 7 key:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12440/windows-10-activation

How you got Windows 10
You upgraded to Windows 10 (Version 1511 or higher)
and activated it using a Windows 7, Windows 8,
or Windows 8.1 product key.

Activation method
Digital entitlement
(A digital entitlement will be given to your device for
Windows 10 based on the valid product key you entered)

Enterprise or multiple activation versions will not upgrade through the usual method (Windows Update or ISO). You need to go through different channels. All other versions should indeed upgrade automatically with the Windows 7 licence.

All sources of information say ‘should’.
Sadly, not happening for me.
3rd day of trying (how can the first 90% take 40 minutes and the last 6% take 7 hours??),
I may have to bite the bullet and build a whole new development VM from scratch.

(I just hate pulling together the apps, certificates, short cuts and things I have assembled over the years that make things ‘smoother’)
Dont mind me.

Im sure it works perfectly everywhere else… :wink:

[quote=274779:@Norman Palardy]Scroll down so you can see where it says
[i]Free tools for cross-browser testing

No PC? No problem. Our tools and virtual machines are free and cross-platform, so you can test your site today on your favorite device—even a Mac.
[/i[

[/quote]

Does that mean I can test my Xojo desktop Apps on the Parallels VM without having to pay for a Win 10 license?

Do you have to a developer registered with MS to activate it?

Is that OS restricted in some way so you can only test web apps?

I would not expect MS to make essentially free versions of its general use OS software openly available on the net to everyone!

• Karen

Yes
No
No
They are
The VM’s are timed limited so you need to reauthorize/reinstall from time to time
But they’re perfect for testing

[quote=275122:@Norman Palardy]The VM’s are timed limited so you need to reauthorize/reinstall from time to time
But they’re perfect for testing[/quote]

Thanks

• Karen