Windows 10 User Interface

I’m sorry, so sorry…
(a woman is singing that in my head)

Conclusion: create your own user interface…

[quote=360687:@Geoff Perlman]I think that might be over-stating the situation just slightly considering what Windows looked like in 1985.

Current Xojo apps use native controls on all platforms. The difference is that Microsoft now has a radically different UI paradigm in UWP. It’s so different that the Win32 APIs can’t be mapped onto it or Microsoft has chose not to do so. I’m not sure which. For Xojo apps to take on that UI, our Windows framework would need to be rewritten on top of UWP. If enough Windows users are running Windows 10 and beyond, at some point it’s likely we would support UWP for Xojo apps.[/quote]

If you look at the controls themselves , they are not that dissimilar.

Anyway, exaggeration aside, my point is that indeed, UWP and touch enabled PCs are diverging neatly from the older desktop metaphor.

Indeed, now users start with a phone and not computer, and learn gestures they feel comfortable with later with tablets and tablet PC.

The big issue here is that platforms have diverged enough to make it difficult for Mac users to completely embrace the new Windows 10 metaphor, let alone because Mac is not touch enabled, and the new web like metaphor is so far from regular controls. In some sense, this is breaking the Xojo cross platform ability to create one code, and compile for several platforms.

It is not yet an urgent problem, and desktop apps on Windows still have a way to go before they are downright obsolete. But it surely is on it’s way…