Windows 10 slowdown

My new 2017 release is going well. Squashed a bunch of bugs very quickly and
most of our users are quite happy with it.

One issue that has come up is on Windows 10.

When someone clicks one of our secondary screens, on any other computer
it instantly makes a few calcs, closes the window, then runs through some larger
calcs and redraws the main screen graphs.
Again this happens less than a second on any other version of Windows we have tested
including 64-bit Windows 7 (so I don’t think it is a 32 vs 64 bit problem)

However on 2 different Windows 10 Home machines, one with 8GB RAM and the other 12GB RAM,
I personally saw using GoToMeeting that it took over 10 seconds to do the same thing.

I thought Windows 10 was better at memory management than Windows 7?

Does it sound like their RAM is inadequate? Or could it be a graphics card memory issue redrawing the screen?

Right now I have no idea how to even debug it.

does it write any files?
Some virus checkers make disc access like molasses.

Check the screen scaling… if controls overlap it could be causing more paint events than you expect.
Maybe add a log to record how often that fires?

Not in that particular code no…

I have a canvas to draw a custom graph and that is on top of a plain blue canvas which just makes the graph look like it has about a 50px border. Not sure that is enough to cause a 10x slowdown???

[quote=319877:@Tim Turner]
I have a canvas to draw a custom graph and that is on top of a plain blue canvas which just makes the graph look like it has about a 50px border. Not sure that is enough to cause a 10x slowdown???[/quote]

Dont do this
Its almost certain to cause flickering at the very least and may contribute to a slowdown
If you need a border just use one larger canvas and inset the drawing in it by however large the border is

Maybe I didn’t describe it right but this is what Im doing.

Large blue box. On top of that smaller box containing graph. To the eye it makes blue border around graph.

Does that match what you are suggesting?

If you are overlapping controls that’s a bad thing.

Here’s one guys system info that had the problem… i7 processor

unlikely related to the processor
whats this machine got for a GPU ?

Don’t know. Is that under Display settings or hardware?

Have to mention: I have two customers who report that their Windows 10 machines crawl with my app to the extent that Windows reports it is not responding.
Ive traced one to Malwarebytes I think…

Malwarebytes if it doesnt like your app (doesnt matter who makes it), will make the app unresponsive and unusable. I have turned off Malwarebytes on the work computer (and used something else in its place). and I am much happier. Most customers dont get to choose their software but the centralized IT does. I am lucky that I get to chose my software as long as I met certain requirements. I am the exception at the office not the norm.

Norms are good :stuck_out_tongue:

if you have a notebook, how is your 2nd screen connected? Are you using a USB port-replicator only connected through a single USB3 wire? I have had a customer with exactly this setting reported similar display glitches when he had network traffic. I ripped his port replicator with LAN, VGA and USB apart and connected all his external devices directly to the book. Since then everything worked as expected.

HDMI for one
mini Display port for the other

ok, then it should not lag. Another question. If the resolution is set too high, then a graphic card running on shared memory could be the culprit. What does the BIOS setting say? Is there a chance to increase shared memory?

Right click on the Windows icon in the bottom left, click on Device Manager, then open the Display adapters subtree.

Looking at the machine’s specs it has a GeForce GTX 950M and an integrated HD Graphics 5500.

To see which screen is connected to which “card” right click on the desktop and click Display settings, select one of the screens at the top of the window that opens, then go to the bottom of that window and click Advanced display settings, then click Display adapter properties at the bottom of that window.

If the monitors are being rendered by different cards, try moving the windows to opposite monitors, this should tell you if its a graphics card issue.

Failing that try seeing if both problem machines have any related hardware, ie. HD Graphics 5500 (I’d be surprised if that was the issue)

Failing that, code in some logging at the various start/finish stages of the process and have the timings output to a log file for later inspection to see where the slow down is.

I dont know what your apps are, but if you need some native Windows 10 testing on a dual screen setup, message me.

Not sure how this thread got off on a “dual screen setup” issue as the now 4 clients having this problem do not have a dual screen setup.

I had one today on gotomeeting and it was moving slowly but EVERYTHING on his computer moved slowly. Running the installer… took forever to start. Right click on file to get to properties… 10 sec plus delay.

We paused OneDrive and DropBox and immediately saw the delay in my app go away. Which makes me tend to think he is having something in process background slowing down entire machine not just our app.

He did have malware bytes but we did not get a chance to pause that before he had a client come in and had to go :frowning:

Of course the users think it’s our app not the machine. HOWEVER, if they go back to our 2016 software which was in VB6… they don’t have the slowdowns. That’s a counter argument to “some process is slowing it down”.

I guess you mean windows, not screens :slight_smile:

Comparing VB to Xojo is like comparing apples and oranges, I’m not even going to go there.

If he had system wide slow downs then there could be all sorts of issues with the PC.

Did you bring up task manager and see if both cores were maxed doing something else, or if their drives were maxed out etc etc?

Have you tried elevating the task priority of the running app (in task manager) to see if its a timing/load issue?

How much ram did he have free, was it swapping, does he have an ssd or hdd, did he have a defrag on the go, had he just patched his pc so the pc was compiling .net runtimes?

Lots and lots of reasons :frowning:

Good luck

Actually “displays” or “monitors”… its not a dual display issue is what I meant.

[quote=320788:@]Did you bring up task manager and see if both cores were maxed doing something else, or if their drives were maxed out etc etc?

Have you tried elevating the task priority of the running app (in task manager) to see if its a timing/load issue?

How much ram did he have free, was it swapping, does he have an ssd or hdd, did he have a defrag on the go, had he just patched his pc so the pc was compiling .net runtimes?[/quote]

No. I only had about 15 minutes to look at his computer remotely.

Also not sure it is just this one guy that has one weird program as the cause because then why would 4 of our customers using Windows 10 have the same problem. Unless it is caused by some Windows 10 process that is causing the issue. OneDrive seemed to be pretty overactive scanning for files and such.

Next time I get a chance to dive into this I will monitor the processes and the real time load monitors.

If I had my own Windows 10 machine I could test it here using remote control but unfortunately don’t. May have to go spring for a $399 windows 10 laptop just to test this thing.

[quote=320805:@Tim Turner]Actually “displays” or “monitors”… its not a dual display issue is what I meant.

No. I only had about 15 minutes to look at his computer remotely and had to download, install the software again, test the problem, and did manage to start looking at some processes and disabling them to see if they made a difference.

Also not sure it is just this one guy that has one weird program as the cause because then why would 4 of our customers using Windows 10 have the same problem. Unless it is caused by some Windows 10 process that is causing the issue. OneDrive seemed to be pretty overactive scanning for files and such.

Next time I get a chance to dive into this I will monitor the processes and the real time load monitors.

If I had my own Windows 10 machine I could test it here using remote control but unfortunately don’t. May have to go spring for a $399 windows 10 laptop just to test this thing.[/quote]