Windows 10 on ARM

Will Xojo ever run on Windows/ARM?
Windows 10 for Raspberry Pi 2

I sure hope so, I’ve bought the pi2 already… just waiting.

Fill a feature request.

After they moved to 64-bit by adding new compiler, Xojo Inc. could invest in a new windows framework using more modern APIs which are supported for the Windows on ARM version.

Microsoft plan is to bring Windows 10 to all possible devices with a similar user experience, would that be phones, tablets, X-Box, computers. Now it will be interesting to see what kind of features the ARM version for Pi will exactly support.

At present, Windows 8.x for ARM is what is available on the Surface 2, which has no desktop. So only Windows Store new API apps can run on it. If that was to be the case for Windows 10 on Pi, Xojo would not be able to produce an IDE for it.

From what I see, only developpers who have joined on the linked page will have more information about what is supported.

Xojo for Windows 10 ARM would be a brilliant move

I would think so as well. But not all brilliant ideas are good business decisions.

Let’s look at it from a business development point of view. What’s the market share of Windows on ARM? basically nothing. What is the perspective of growth? Well, even if it is good, Raspberry Pi still represents a small niche platform. Perhaps Windows 10 will be available for other ARM platforms, and that could improve the perspective.

If it is my money, I will wait a bit to see if the investment is worth it.

Yep, Windows is Strong in Desktops and partially on Business Servers. On mobile ARM devices they lost their grip for many years and to be honest: I do not see them there for the next couple of years. Before chasing ARM Xojo should improve their WIndows Platform… I just name these huge show-stoppers: UI Controls (Ribbons, Toolbars etc.), new LLVM Compiler, WIndows Store.

Windows on ARM is so dead, it never picked up even on Microsoft own Surface tablets, so much so they are pushing for the x86 ones. I saw the Pi the other day, it is undoubtedly cute, but I frankly do not see why it should run Windows, since it has Linux.

Hopefully Windows 64 bit will come before the end of 2015, after Linux and Mac OS. But that’s not even sure at this point. I am not quite sure what you mean by Ribbons and Toolbars, but the LLVM compiler will be a reality with 64 bit. As for the Windows Store, I am afraid that is a whole lot less priority than .NET. Or to be more precise, Windows Store apps are built on .NET, so in a first major step, it would be supercallifragilliwonderful to have it in the first place.

As for Windows Store modern API framework apps, after placing half a dozen of them in the Windows Store, I have been hugely disappointed by sales. Normal, Windows 8.x represents less than 20% of the installed base. Modern UI is dead, so far ;proof is in the windowing that places them just as other desktop apps. If more cumbersome.

I’m not sure why you say that “it’s not even sure”. The last announcement we’ve made is that Windows 64-bit is going to ship in 2015.

I am pretty sure that after 64Bit Linux XOJO they will take care of Windows. This platform really needs more love.
And Michel, regarding Win8 and Metro (sorry I still name it Metro). I’ve recently bought an HP Stream for just 66 Euros - except VAT - and Full year Office 2013 subscription. I’ve posted my experiences here in german-speaking channel (https://forum.xojo.com/21498-hp-stream-7-f-r-79-00-euro/p1#p180286)

On such small touch devices Win8 Tiles and Metro UI really makes sense if there were not so lot quirks and bugs. Microsoft failed in giving clear directions and setting standards. Win8 is like a huge piece of Beta Software in comparison to a much more streamlined iOS or OSX.

Hoping with Win10 and a little bit more of Xojo Love everything becomes better…

Oh great. I missed that part. Thank you :slight_smile:

The Metro UI is well documented, and there are precise guidelines to how an app should be designed. I own a Windows touch tablet as well. My point is that we should not be fooled into thinking that the Metro UI can only be achieved with Windows Store “Modern API”, not Windows 7 compatible apps. the Metro UI design principles can be applied to a present Xojo Desktop app, with a bit of efforts. Contrary to popular belief, there are no “Metro UI controls”. The app I have created uses simply canvases to display characters in the Segoe UI font to get the landmark Back and Forward buttons. As for the classic square button, I am simply using the good old BevelButton. All the rest, even in Modern API Windows Store apps, is the usual Windows controls we have known for 30 years.

Plus you can always do your UI in a HTMLViewer and use Metro UI CSS to add all the fun Metro features :wink:

Because that is how Norm “trained” us.

That is only justice. Entire apps can be developed in JavaScript for the Windows Store.

Send me a link to the docs for that…?

Here is the place where everything is about developing for the Windows Store :
https://dev.windows.com/en-us/getstarted
There is everything you need to know about the Modern UI ; controls, design principles, and so on.

You may need to sign up for a developer account, but I believe it is free.

The sample pack on top of the page contains an example in JavaScript.

Thanks… Might come in handy in the near future :slight_smile: