Windows 10 Annoyance

This is a bit off topic, but…

I have a Windows 10 machine, which is used for one project. It persists on being “helpful.” It shows Cortana. It shows the notification box on the right even though there are no notifications. It starts Edge without asking. It’s started several copies of RealStudio (old project).

Is there any way to turn all this stuff off? What’s really annoying is that it does this while I’m not actively using it so there’s all this activity in my peripheral vision.

I want it to sit there and be still.

-Bob

Turn the monitor off?

Turn off notificationss
Right click windows icon, Settings > System > Notification & actions, turn off all that

Turn off cortana
Right click it Cortana>Hidden

I don’t know why it shows Edge or starts RB though, sounds virus’y

I agree with Julian. I work on Windows 10 all day long and it does not start things on its own. Your computer is seriously sick. It could be a virus or some other malware. In addition to your favorite AV, I suggest to scan the computer with the free version of Malwarebytes. It can handle malware that is ignored by some AV programs. On some windows 10 machines, I used O&O shutup10 to turn off some “mandatory” features of Windows 10 and to limit the amount of “calling home” that Win10 does. Use with care.

[quote=424131:@Bob Gordon]This is a bit off topic, but…

I have a Windows 10 machine, which is used for one project. It persists on being “helpful.” It shows Cortana. It shows the notification box on the right even though there are no notifications. It starts Edge without asking. It’s started several copies of RealStudio (old project).

Is there any way to turn all this stuff off? What’s really annoying is that it does this while I’m not actively using it so there’s all this activity in my peripheral vision.

I want it to sit there and be still.

-Bob[/quote]

Windows is just an OS, it does not make things by its own, it all depends on how you configure it and the software you install.

Much of this, along with cortana, are configurable the first time you set up the OS

Yep, smells fishy to me.

I just worked with a corporate Windows10 Laptop for 3 months and had nothing of all this. In fact it worked so well that I was tempted to move away from my MacBook Pro…

With the Fall Creator’s Update Microsoft extended the “feature” where Windows 10 would re-launch your running applications following an update where you needed to restart your PC into regular shutdowns/restarts. You can prevent this by closing all apps before doing a restart or shutdown. Supposedly Microsoft is considering adding an option for us to turn off this supposed convenience “feature”.