WIndows 10 and BootCamp

I have an old MacPro (1,1) that I have been running Win7 on as my test machine for a while… Downloaded the Win10 install, and thought I’d pass on this one observation (so far).

Whenever the Win10 install wants to reboot the computer, Bootcamp seems to go idle (it does NOT shutdown nor reboot the computer)… I have had to manually power it off, and restart it each time… and so far that seems to be working…

more to follow

A glitch I ran into (from my Windows 10 blog post):

Win 10 installed on my MacPro 1,1 with Bootcamp over a previous Win7 install, and seems so far to be no issues… just had to manuall restart at those points where Win10 install wanted a reboot.

Among the annoyances, not the fault of Microsoft, but the new VirtualBox 5.00 and earlier versions do not work under a Windows 10 host. But Windows 10 can be installed in a VM, according to VirtualBox.org forums.

I found just one bug with Xojo :

40171 - Plain box window in Windows 10 has a white stripe on top
Status: Needs Review Rank: Not Ranked Product: Xojo Category: N/A

Michel Bujardet on Jul 20, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Xojo: Xojo 2015r2.2

Steps: Attached are pictures of a 300x300 plain box window, in Window 7 and in Windows 10. The Windows 10 one presents a residual white horizontal bar on top.

Workarounds:
Declare to render the region transparent.

<https://xojo.com/issue/40171>

On my 2015 MacBook Pro, Windows 10 hosed my bootcamp partition. It spent an hour downloading only to tell me that the current OS (Windows 8.1) was not activated, and to do that, I had to quit the installer. Fixed the problem, ran the Windows 10 installer again and had to wait another hour for the download again. Why it couldn’t use the files it got 5 minutes ago, I really don’t know. This one went smoothly until the third reboot and then told me that Windows 10 couldn’t be installed (we were going on 3hrs at this point) and that it was going to roll back to my previous OS. Apparently it couldn’t do that either. Now I get a BSOD and a recommendation that I reformat the drive and reinstall my OS. In all my years of dealing with computers, this is certainly the SOP for Microsoft in my experience. Thank goodness for backups, but after the reinstall and a restore, I’m gonna want those 5-6 hrs of my life back.

I did a clean install on a 2011 Mac mini with bootcamp 5.1.5621 (Win 8.1 drivers).

The problem I have is the Apple bluetooth keyboard cannot connect and the Magic mouse has erratic connection problem. Have to use the wired long keyboard and wired mouse.

Lot’s of stories like this. I believe that clean installation would be the best option anyway.

Installing Windows 10 with Bootcamp gives two issues with my iMac 5K:

• No Bluetooth drivers - in short doesn’t work
  • The display driver is the MS basic one means the graphics are very slow.

Everything else seems to work fine.

Things I noticed with Xojo apps running Windows 10:

• The close button behaves odd - when hoovering over the Window close button the red flickers instead of fading in/out smoothly.

I did an upgrade on my PC several months ago with the beta. No issue.

Could be related to VM.

FWIW, mine wasn’t a VM. it’s Windows running on Mac hardware via Bootcamp. It really surprised me honestly. Up until Wednesday, my Mac was the most stable Windows machine I’ve ever had.

I have not used Bootcamp in ages, but if I remember right, it is not possible to simply shove a Windows DVD and install. The Mac requires a special Windows loader, right ? Maybe that is where Windows 10 stumbles ?

Apart from that, I do believe Apple hardware is a remarkable PC. I have many times recommended people who had older Apple Minis that could not be upgraded to the latest Mac OS X to turn them into a PC. Much better than the Intel NUC IMO.

[quote=203691:@Michel Bujardet]
I have not used Bootcamp in ages, but if I remember right, it is not possible to simply shove a Windows DVD and install. The Mac requires a special Windows loader, right ? Maybe that is where Windows 10 stumbles ?[/quote]
It was that way originally. If you’re willing to spend some time with it, it IS possible to install Windows manually.

I loaded Win10 on my MacPro running Bootcamp, by quite simply going to the Microsoft Win10 upgrade page, and saying “upgrade”… like I mentioned the only thing out of the ordinary (if anything about Microsoft IS ordinary) was have to manually power-off and restart when the installer wanted a reboot

Gads - I usually just use a VMWare Guest for Windows. Which W10 installs and runs in almost perfectly. I had a few tussles with the display driver and trying to get it to use the full resolution available on a Retina display.

Everybody I know is having trouble one way or another with something going wrong on upgrade installs. Clean installs seem to work perfectly well.

-Paul

guess I’m the exception :smiley:

I have upgraded months ago on my PC from 8.1 to the beta and everything went smoothly.

That said, Windows is often happier with a clean install.

I’m seeing this too: on BootCamp I’m getting OpenGL 1.1 support only, whereas running under VMWare Fusion the driver supports OpenGL 2.1

I’m going to try to manually re-install the boot camp graphics drivers and see what happens. I’ll report back if successful.

[quote=203812:@Michael Diehr]I’m seeing this too: on BootCamp I’m getting OpenGL 1.1 support only, whereas running under VMWare Fusion the driver supports OpenGL 2.1

I’m going to try to manually re-install the boot camp graphics drivers and see what happens. I’ll report back if successful.[/quote]
Turns out my OpenGL problems were self-inflicted: https://forum.xojo.com/24477-windows-10-manifest-gotcha

My MacBookAir with Intel HD3000 supports OpenGL 3.1 with the default Microsoft Windows 10 drivers. Yay!

For now it works. I wait for a decent Bootcamp with Win10 support.