Win 8 AND 8.1 ???

I can’t figure how to paste screen shots on this forum, so the directions will be text. Vista with IE7 is available in hyper-v win 2012, win 8, VMWare Fusion on Mac, and more.

on the above provided link, click “download VM” (middle of the page, towards the right hand side). then, select host OS and then VM format (the choices depend on the host OS). You now see a bunch of tiles. top row, second from the right (at least on my screen), I see IE7 - Vista. click the links to download the files. I use Chrome. perhaps the Microsoft site does not like your browser? Not that it likes Chrome too much… :wink:

[quote=41039:@Richard Summers]What I was originally trying to ask is:

Is it advisable to test my software in ALL versions of Windows, or are 8 and 8.1 practically the same with minor improvements.[/quote]

I tend to test only on 7 & 8 now, XP is end of lifed next year but in truth I’ve never had a app not work in XP with Xojo. I do have an XP VM and soemtimes on long conference calls I just run the app on that, but never had an issue. Famous last words.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I nearly wanted to say “Stop supporting Vista and older windy os versions”, but this is not what I should write here. :wink:

Well, mr Kahner… I prefer the pragmatic approach, where I support what my clients or potential clients use, not just what I like or think they should use…

That is the only way to do business. Sell and support not what you want, but what people want :slight_smile:

Even if Vista is kinda yucky :wink:

I would rather know that my software works on everything from XP onwards, as many UK companies still use XP.

Yes, that’s correct.

Downloaded a VM of 8.1 as suggested by Louis.
Brillant!

…and yes, there is a Vista image there too…

For all of you planning on doing pro development for Windows that want to insure that you’re legal, I urge you to consider an MSDN subscription. The “MSDN Platforms” option is $699 per year and includes ALL Microsoft operating system versions all the way back to WIndows 3.1. It also gives you access to the beta builds so that you can be ahead of the game on new releases.

MSDN Subscriptions

Here ya go:

Windows Vista Robot

Some cars today operate a version of Windows. Heard of speed regulators going coocoo ? Guess who ?

Windows? The last three cars I owned:

• Citroen C5 - running Magneti Marelli
  • Audi A6 - running own (proprietary) os, but probably based upon a Linux distro
  • Toyota Auris Hybrid - running QNX

No self respecting car manufacturer will ever allow Windows to run on a mission critical car platform.

[quote=46949:@Alexander van der Linden]Windows? The last three cars I owned:

• Citroen C5 - running Magneti Marelli
  • Audi A6 - running own (proprietary) os, but probably based upon a Linux distro
  • Toyota Auris Hybrid - running QNX

No self respecting car manufacturer will ever allow Windows to run on a mission critical car platform.[/quote]

No
But there are several who DO use it
https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-automotive-7.aspx
Including BMW
http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Embedded-Automotive/BMW/Carmaker-Delivers-Premium-Infotainment-System-in-1-and-3-Series-Models-with-Windows-Embedded/710000001888

[quote=46954:@Norman Palardy]No
But there are several who DO use it
https://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-automotive-7.aspx
Including BMW
http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Windows-Embedded-Automotive/BMW/Carmaker-Delivers-Premium-Infotainment-System-in-1-and-3-Series-Models-with-Windows-Embedded/710000001888[/quote]

And the biggest one… FORD:
link text

For what it is worth these car manufacturers are using this system for infotainment systems, not mission critical vehicle operation such as powertrain and safety control. Those systems have dedicated controllers with an RTOS system in use.

Also, BMW and the like have taken massive PR hits on their implementation of their systems with confusing user interfaces and unintuitive design. Although some always would like to blame Microsoft - it isn’t the underlying OS, it’s the UI that the car manufacturer chose to implement. Kind of like blaming XOJO for my crappy user interface design…

OT: I swear the next time I buy a new car, the dealer is going to think I am from another planet. “No, I don’t want integrated navigation, Internet, security, auto-pilot, voice controlled stereo, etc. Best if you could order it with the radio out, and basic mechanical heater and AC. Thanks!” I’m sure they’ll make an example out of me in the showroom, like those rare occasions that I send a $30 steak back because I ordered it rare, and it came out burnt and looked like they ran over it with a semi for good measure.

Brad, you’re looking for a 1974 Porsche 914 2.0L SE. Just the way you want it (and collectible to boot!).

(boy, are we getting far afield here!)

This one’s called a Creamsicle.

A carburator & none of this drive by wire stuff either :stuck_out_tongue:
I’m really learning to hate the “Oh that light means the electronic sensor has gone and that $290 to replace + labor”

The Fiat 500 of my wife also runs Windows, BUT only for the infotainment system (luckily). It does not control vital parts of the car as far as I know. The Citroen C5, with the Magneti Marelli system had serious issues. Sometimes the system rebooted spontaneous and when that happened, the ABS and ESP systems went haywire giving the impression that you had 4 punctured tires.

They can’t repair cars anymore, because there is nothing to repair. They just replace modules. And with us, in Europe the environment issue is played hard, pressing car manufactures to minimize Co2 and NOx levels. That results in cars with ridiculously small engines (3 cylinders is common for small cars) and a truckload of electronically controlled valves and re-burn mechanisms causing so many hard to find issues…

My beef isn’t Windows or the computers, it’s treating my car as a sales platform once it leaves the dealer. And throwing in expensive technology that doesn’t work as well or do as much as a cheap Android tablet today. I wonder how silly the stuff they are selling today is going to look in three years behind a super tablet on a seat bolt mount. But that’s just me.