Will the plugins work for both web apps and desktop apps?

Hi,

I’m writing an electronic medical records application.

I am NOT compiling it as a CGI application, rather, an application that is run on a Windows or Mac machine. It’s a web-based application, but is standalone rather than a CGI application.

I am working on a Blowfish plugin for XOJO.

Will this plugin work for both desktop applications AND standalone web-based applications, or do I need to compile my plugin differently or package it differently so that it will work on both desktop applications, and standalone web applications?

Being an EMR program, I need to encrypt many pieces of information, but not everything… which is my reasoning for implementing blowfish encryption… but I am very curious if I can just write the one plugin that works on PC / Mac Desktop applications, and if it will also work on standalone web applications, or if I need to do something special in that regard.

I don’t know if it makes a difference, but I want to stress - IT IS A STANDALONE APPLICATION, NOT CGI APPLICATION.

I would greatly appreciate feedback.

You should be able to use one build per platform (Mac, Windows, Linux). Make sure you only link in libraries that work with console apps, i.e. no GUI libraries. When you register functions in your plugin, there are flags to indicate console and desktop.

To be perfectly honest though… Search Feedback for “Crypto” and note any recently implemented “public” cases before you go to a lot of work. It’s one thing it you want to write plugins just because. But if you need encryption for a real application, it appears to be on the horizon.

you must use REALconsoleSafe flags.

Could you mind sharing with me how I would declare the flag?

I will look for pre-existing Crypto classes… Thanks… Although I want to implement strong encryption, I also figured it would be a GREAT learning experience to make my own… But, in the mean time, I have no problem using a pre-existing crypto class, assuming that it isn’t one I need to pay for. If there is a free crypto class out there, I’ll seriously consider using it… But, at the same time, I want to make my own implementation of blowfish for the experience… Although if I can find a pre-existing crypto class for free, I’ll use that throughout my application (both the web-version of the EMR program and a personal desktop edition)… And then, when I have a good amount of free time to set aside, I’d love to implement it myself… For the experience.

So, if there is a pre-existing strong crypto class out there for free, I’d be pleased to implement it into my program(s)… I’d eventually want to write my own, just to see how it is done, for the event I need to do it for something else…

For the purpose of collecting information, how would I declare the flags?

[quote=50047:@Brad Hutchings]You should be able to use one build per platform (Mac, Windows, Linux). Make sure you only link in libraries that work with console apps, i.e. no GUI libraries. When you register functions in your plugin, there are flags to indicate console and desktop.

To be perfectly honest though… Search Feedback for “Crypto” and note any recently implemented “public” cases before you go to a lot of work. It’s one thing it you want to write plugins just because. But if you need encryption for a real application, it appears to be on the horizon.[/quote]

This flag is part of the SDK and all the data structures in the SDK have flag item, so well, assign them there for registering the module.

https://sites.google.com/site/skydancerstudios/rb-blowfish

Much appreciated. Thanks