Why Xojo has removals?

Why does Xojo have removals of classes, functions, and other things? If there is a better method of doing a certain task then fair enough, deprecate it. But why remove anything when people have used that in projects that they are porting from an older version of Xojo/RB/RS? Thanks

Well stuff that is removed sits on a deprecation list for a long time before it is actually removed.

One of the reasons we remove things is if the underlying operating system no longer supports it. Do you have a specific example of something that we removed?

Greg, so you’re saying that latest OSX versions do not offer operations to access resource files any more? That’s odd, I thought I just just them the other day.

No, the real reason for removal is that Xojo Inc doesn’t have the resources (i.e. engineers) to keep supporting all the old stuff.
Which is still odd, given that, for instance, the resource fork class never needs any updating or fixing.

Apple, on the other hand, does NOT remove old (deprecated) functions, it just discourages users from using them in new programs. Same for Windows, as far as I can tell.

Windows does not remove anything whatsoever. Backwards compatibility is kind of a religion :wink:

Rosetta.

Well, Motorolas 68000+ are not supported neither, but I guess we are talking about software functions and not processor compatibilities.

Reading about some of the hoops that modern Windows jumps through to avoid breaking old code is astonishing. If you can find a x86-32 version of Windows 8, you could probably get a 16-bit Windows 3.11 app to work.

[quote=40110:@Thomas Tempelmann]
Apple, on the other hand, does NOT remove old (deprecated) functions, it just discourages users from using them in new programs. Same for Windows, as far as I can tell.[/quote]
Apple has removed entire frameworks at times
XGridFoundation (in 10.8) (see https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/releasenotes/General/APIDiffsMacOSX10_8/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011748)
Various Java headers and Java as a preinstalled system component has been removed.
SAP ran into an API being removed in iOS 7 (see http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-46196)
Apple replace a system API that could detect jailbroken devices (http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-1063710.html) (but the old API was removed)

The other issue is that IF you want to submit apps to the App store you should NOT use deprecated API’s.
But since you rely on our API’s we have to make sure our API’s don’t rely on deprecated Apple API’s either otherwise you would get rejected from the App store for using deprecated API’s

To say

is far too simplistic.

[quote=40110:@Thomas Tempelmann]No, the real reason for removal is that Xojo Inc doesn’t have the resources (i.e. engineers) to keep supporting all the old stuff.
[/quote]

This is like saying that the real reason a gardener pulls weeds and dead plants from her garden is that she doesn’t have enough Miracle Gro to feed them too. Removing old cruft is a natural part of product maintenance.

[quote=40133:@Norman Palardy]The other issue is that IF you want to submit apps to the App store you should NOT use deprecated API’s.
But since you rely on our API’s we have to make sure our API’s don’t rely on deprecated Apple API’s either otherwise you would get rejected from the App store for using deprecated API’s[/quote]
My “Find Any File” uses deprecated APIs (i.e. access to Resource files) and just had an update the other week in the App Store.

So, you’re just as much generalizing as I am.