Why is Xojo slow in the mornings?

Why is it, if I leave Xojo open overnight and my Mac goes to sleep, that when I wake it up again in the morning it runs slowly, particularly compiling which takes probably twice as long.

Now I know that I am slower in the mornings too, but unlike me, my Mac doesn’t like coffee.

The solution, of course, is to restart Xojo, then it flies through (ish) compiles again.

Just wondering…

Memory leaks?

Lack of caffeine
Wait til its had a couple coffee’s :stuck_out_tongue:

it needs more Java installed :slight_smile:

NNNNOOooooooo!!!

I have found that the IDE can be quite a bit slower if there’s a lot of data on your clipboard. Try copying just one or two characters to the clipboard and see if that speeds things up.

A quick test at the end of the days work:

Cmd K: 47 secs
Clear the clipboard - cmd K: 47 secs
Restart Xojo - cmd K: 18 secs.

I’ll leave it on overnight and see if there’s a different answer pre-caffeine.

What about the memory that Xojo uses? I still see a memory leak. But this usually resolves itself in a longer debugging session by crashing.

Mac OS 10.9. Xojo 2014r2.

By my experience, this seems to be a problem of Mac OS rather than a Xojo-related one. I experience a slowdown of most major applications I held open while the Mac was in night‘s sleep mode: Photoshop, InDesign … I have not taken notes of the memory state before and after a longer Mac sleep, but it wouldn‘t surprise me if pageins/pageouts and memory pressure are different before and after.
After a few days running, my Mac even starts to use its swap which makes me consider switching it off again. Usually a reboot is the only way to handle this.

And Beatrix: I wonder if the memory leak is related to the 1 MB memory leak with each window closed under Mac OS (see 34956 in Feedback). If the compiling sheet window should be a dynamic one, this could be a hint to the reason.

@Ulrich: oh my. That is a bad bug. But no, the memory leak isn’t related I think because the memory leak also occurs for older versions.

Addendum: my Mac practically never goes to sleep. I’m not seeing slowdowns but Xojo hangs. See <https://xojo.com/issue/34744> . Could these symptoms be related? My old MacPro only has 6GB and is operating hard on the limit. I so was looking forward to a new MacMiniServer. Instead I’ll most likely give the MacPro some more Ram. Then I’ll see if the “hangs” will go away or not.

I have had good results in running with 24 GB of RAM without Swap and can say a lot of RAM is really a nice speed booster. Only because of me often running Photoshop, InDesign, Xojo and Safari at the same time(the latter one consuming enormous chunks of RAM and CPU power from time to time), I felt it would be better to enable Swap again. This way I can work for about one week until it starts to use the Swap file and things get a bit laggy, Fusion drive or not.

And for the memory leak: Yes, I think so too. If you have any points to spare, feel free to push it a bit forward :wink:

And my addendum: No, I‘ve never seen Xojo not responding on my Mac. But adding more RAM would certainly be a good idea.
I run an old Mac Pro too (2009), and with 24 GB of RAM and a self-built Fusion drive I only miss a new one when I have really big PSD-Files under my mouse. And not that much yet.

Well, certainly looks like memory leakage is a problem. After working most of the day the memory is now up to 1.4GB (originally 560MB) while the Analyze Project time is up to 29secs (originally 18 secs). Still just working on one project file.

I’m on a MBP with 16GB memory - so I don’t think memory is a problem.

Certainly the occasional crash of Xojo fixes the problem. Is that a feature?

Having 16Gb physical ram is irrelevant except that it limits the amount the OS might swap to disk.
Xojo is still a 32 bit app and can only access within those limits - 4Gb in total but after OS and process set up etc its about 3.5 Gb.
Less on Windows because of how it works.

I find that if you open a new workspace on the same project or have open several projects using shared externals Xojo can go slow, but I’ve not been able to reproduce it reliably to log a feedback.

I only restart my machine after a system update, and Xojo when it either gets too slow or crashes.

I run a rMBP with 16gb of Ram. I keep my machine as clean as possible, and have the habit to run as few apps as possible at once.

The only other app that gets really slow is the latest version of Photoshop, it’s a terrible release and far too buggy!