Xojo has ONLY ever grabbed ONE license.
I only see one license grabbed - meaning one of my three - when I Used the “Update” button on the licenses dialog on my system. That one instance never grabbed all three instances.
- I just tested - and things seem the same.
- I removed my license from this system
- I logged into my account and selected “Manage Licenses”
- I then removed all three assigned licenses
- I launched 19r3.2
- It still showed as Pro license
- I removed that license
- I then “Added” the license and my Pro license showed up
- My account, however, shows no licenses assigned when I log out and log back into the site without relaunching the IDE.
- I launched the latest IDE and the Pro license was still active
- I removed that license, exited and relaunched Xojo
- The Pro license was once again active because …
When I then checked the site, ONE license was assigned to this machine
If others are seeing their single instance IDE grab more that one license, that is a bug. Something’s amiss …