Why doesn't this work?! Grrrrr.

dim rows as integer = listbox2.ListCount

Method:

if rows >= 3 then if ListBox2.cell(2,6) <> ListBox2.cell(3,6) then MsgBox("Pressures are not equal") ListBox2.DeleteAllRows return end end

OutOfBoundsException

The listbox has 3 rows. What am I doing wrong?

The listbox.cell parameters are zero based
First row = 0,
second row = 1
third row = 2
fourth row = 3

so ListBox2.cell(3,6) needs 4 rows and 7 columns

[quote=179596:@Torben Vikow]The listbox.cell parameters are zero based
First row = 0,
second row = 1
third row = 2
fourth row = 3

so ListBox2.cell(3,6) needs 4 rows and 7 columns[/quote]

Duh. Thank you. I feel like a moron some times.

Meade, welcome to the Club…we all have those Moron moments and I find that as I get older, they seem to come more frequently. :wink:

Don’t worry, eventually memory loss will alleviate this issue, and it won’t seem to happen as frequently. :wink:

I fear that I am already becoming a victim to physiology at 22 years of age.

I often wonder if our modern conveniences (and our increasing reliance on them) are dumbing us down more and more.

There was a report on the radio recently which stated that current teachers are not stressing spelling as much as in my time. Since most communication is made electronically with access to spellcheck, they don’t find it quite as important as learning other issues, and misspelling is practically expected in most social media communication. I can say that my ability to do math dropped when I was able to use a calculator in normal life outside of taking classes, and I honestly cannot remember most phone numbers since around the time when phones started coming out with autodial (including my Father’s which should be fairly easy - the first 3 digits are repeated like 234-5234). I remember years ago seeing a teen-aged kid looking at the instructions on a machine which imprinted a logo on a penny, and seeing the step which said to rotate the lever clockwise, remarked ‘Which way is clockwise?’

I entered college in 1974… and as a High School Graduation gift was given a very expensive calculator (remember, 1974… they had just entered the market). My first class was in Electronics. The first thing the instructor asked was “How many of you got a calculator recently”… about 3/4 of the class raised their hand. “Great” he said, “Now put them in you briefcase, and leave them there, go to the store and buy a slide rule… Everyone is this class will do it using the same tools”

Wonder what ever happened to that slide-rule? :slight_smile:

The point is nobody in school today is being taught how to THINK, it is all rote-memorization. My math skills were good before that class, but because a slide-rule makes you think about what you are doing, my math skills are great to this very day

Still can’t spell… but I can add :smiley:

My spelling is pretty good, I often notice typos on everything except for my own work (just sent a note to a developer of a Word add-in on a few on their entry screen). I also work in advertising, and work on catalogs and other copy-intensive projects.

My math used to be very good (740 on SATs 30 years ago), now what I can do in my head has diminished. I usually know the concepts, although I sometimes struggle a little to remember how to do something if it’s higher math functions that I rarely use.

I don’t remember a thing about calculus, and it’s really a handicap in day-to-day life.

Calculus is like eating with knife and fork: it’s something that I’ve done so often that I won’t forget how to use it. But then I’ve got a diploma in Physics :slight_smile:

Coming from a raywenderlich article about SpriteKit, I found this site which explains many math things very on the point: http://www.mathsisfun.com/algebra/index.html

Made me add NSPoint calculation methods and, hey, there’s the very fascinating acceleration framework too … There’ll be a asteroids demo on XDC? How about a series of vector games? On CAShapeLayers? No, seriously, I find learning things just for the sake of learning doesn’t stick. But combined with some coding you find possible apps to build on every corner, and suddenly those things that looked boring in school start to make sense.

Well when talking about moron moments:

I’ve once wanted to reinstall my Windows NT4 and the easiest way in the 90ies was to use a small IBM tool named zap for quick wiping and erasing your hard disk. The syntax was quite simple:

zap n

with n as index for your harddrive. That’s easy: I’ve hat two harddrives. The 1st one for my system C: (the one I wanted to erase) and the 2nd one as D: for all my data and drivers and work… of course without backup… so I typed in…

zap 1

… and then I’ve read that n was zero-based…

How much did you end up paying for those “Suicide Prevention” classes you attended? ^^

Thank God… there is hope yet :slight_smile:

In a lab the systems were set up such that people could just sit down & use them.
They were logged in as root so people could just sit down & use them
Another TA (not me) walked in, scrawled on the front board “rm -rf /”
Most everyone immediately typed that in & pressed enter
The TA then turns around and announces “Since you’ve now all wiped out your machines we’re going to show you how to start from scratch” :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=179659:@Tomas Jakobs]Well when talking about moron moments:

I’ve once wanted to reinstall my Windows NT4 and the easiest way in the 90ies was to use a small IBM tool named zap for quick wiping and erasing your hard disk. The syntax was quite simple:

zap n

with n as index for your harddrive. That’s easy: I’ve hat two harddrives. The 1st one for my system C: (the one I wanted to erase) and the 2nd one as D: for all my data and drivers and work… of course without backup… so I typed in…

zap 1

… and then I’ve read that n was zero-based…[/quote]

I cringed at that! OH MAN, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN DREADFUL!

As for the education system, I seem to have been a weird story…

I was taught programming from my mother who worked at a major university as a professor. I kept it as a hobby and won awards growing up for video game design at the national level. I attended school to become a medical doctor and did incredibly well. I was a tutor for all English sections, all Medical Anatomy sections, and Chemistry 101. I was VP of Student Government also I was the Chaplain of the Leadership Fraternity (Sigma Nu!).

Then, on a hunch, I applied for a job as a technician at an oil and gas company and they found out about my programming abilities. Now I am the executive director of IT which is a role I never thought I would have. I directly manage over 30 personnel in the IT field.

I just recently joined the Xojo community as we were developing software at my company and was not used to IDEs like this (man, I was missing out). I must say that the community here is AMAZING! I almost feel like a bother due to all of my questions as I feel my way through this IDE. Questions about serial ports, saving as PDFs, and opening .CSV files have all been the topic of discussion thanks to me, yet have all be answered by the experts here at forum.xojo.com.

You guys ROCK!