WHY are there so few DoubleClick events in Xojo ?

WHY is there no DoubleClick event in Xojo ?

Seems somewhat fundamental, so I guess I’m missing all the other benefits associated with having to implement one for every class or object that might use it.

Can Xojo support new externally developed. plug-in events like this?

Comments, background etc appreciated …

Why do you say that?
A number of controls have DBLCLICK built in… and if I’m not mistaken, one of the docs shows how to implement DblClck on those that dont.

Ian what control are you referring to?

Here is the doubleclick event on a listbox for example. Xojo does have these events, but it depends on which control you are referring to.

If you miss a double click event somewhere, please fill a Feedback case.

[quote=76388:@Ian Ramsay]WHY is there no DoubleClick event in Xojo ?

Seems somewhat fundamental, so I guess I’m missing all the other benefits associated with having to implement one for every class or object that might use it.

[/quote]

Ian, you want to look again. DoubleClick is there…

Excuse me … I should have been more specific. Pretty vague statement I made …

For Desktop Apps, I can see DoubleClick available for Canvas and ListBox. It does now appear in the event lists for: Labels, Image Wells, List Boxes, Shapes, Placards, ContainerControls & Windows. Was just wondering why these controls might have been excluded and if I was missing something. Maybe there is no answer …

The background … I have implemented a version of DoubleClick for ContainerControls (from the example) and the same for some of the these controls within the ContainerControl. I have now created a very confused chain of event responders for all these components and the need to rework the manual DoubleClick for various instances of such controls. It’s a lightning-storm of Mouse Events.

My workmanship in this regard can only be considered as ugly and will need to be undone. Unfortunately this technical simplification will detract from the desired UX …

If you have already created code to support double click, it is probably possible to refactor it in a more sensible way indeed.

When I expect double clicks, I usually replace Image Wells by Canvas. And place canvas over Labels and Shapes. I do not use Placards. Placing a canvas over a window background also brings access to DoubleClick. To some extent, Canvas can sometimes replace a Container control as well.

The remaining control that would require work is the ListBox, but you may have already done the work :wink:

Very good … That seems like a plan.

Many Thanks … Ian