Why are some Threads closed sooner than others?

In my opinion, this should never be a reason for shutting down a discussion in a Forum.
But since you posted this, we only “cloud the issue”… :wink:

Agree to disagree.

Trust me when I say that my goal is, pure and simple, to make all of our development lives easier. I want to help Xojo users and Xojo alike. I want it to be easy for users to find the information they need, and help foster a friendly and professional community. I use the tools at my disposal, adhering to the guidelines provided by Xojo, to try and achieve that.

Maybe it would help more if you help with advice and shut down less … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This Thread is not against you, Xojo Stuff has also done it before many many times.

It’s just that we can mark a Post as Solution so it does not get lost in a conversation. There’s no need to shut down a discussion just because one thinks it can’t lead to a better solution…

1 Like

While marking a solution is a great feature, clicking a forum topic link can often lead to the middle of a discussion if you’ve started reading it before so the user may not see the accepted solution. I know that I, at times, just start scrolling through without really reading some threads and hop to the very last comment. I know many others tend to do this as well, just by reading the many topics I read each day and seeing the disconnects in the discussion.

I’m sorry you disagree with my choice of action, but I do stand by it.

I thought you were a MVP and supposed to voice the community’s concerns to Xojo, not act as a guard of what the forum should be.

Because just in case you hadn’t noticed, a lot of people moved to another forum because you shut down threads … so how does that tally with your MVP status???

2 Likes

I have to agree with Anthony, endless discussion in separate threads when the answer had already been posted is a waste of everyone’s time and energy.

Xojo staff have said time and time again to get in touch with them personally to address any worries you have. Just do as they ask, it’s their forum not yours, follow their rules.

Is there an off-topic forum on here that all these threads could be created in that is set to not followed by default for everyone?

I for one don’t want to see these threads over and over, I want to see stuff about programming in Xojo.

3 Likes

As an MVP and Moderator, I have many discussions with Xojo team members about the questions and concerns of the community. There are many people who’ve reached out to me directly who can attest to this. Just because you’re not aware of something, doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, Markus.

4 Likes

Yes.

You can hide all those Areas you don’t want to see.

I like that you stand by your actions. I really do. I just would like to see discussions not be shutted down so soon. :slight_smile:

As I said, I don’t like feeling like I have to do these things, but in the interest of making it clear to others how best to proceed or ensure things don’t get so out-of-hand that a thread is irredeemable, it is sometimes necessary.

2 Likes

I would like to thank you all for your feedback, and I am making a note for the Xojo staff to review this thread and my related actions.

Thank you for helping me to better understand the intension.

You don’t have to go this far… :slight_smile:

1 Like

While i do not agreed with every opinion, i think this Thread may help some to better understand why Threads are closed sooner than others.

These informations definitely helped me understand better.

Thank you @Anthony_Cyphers :+1:

2 Likes

I’m happy to discuss any time, with anyone, Sascha. Thank you for your understanding and a sensible discussion.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Old OS Version Compatibility

I couldn’t put my finger on it at first but now it clicked:

the longest running thread by far (4.2k posts, the second longest has 395 posts) was “pet peeves” https://forum.xojo.com/t/pet-peeves/17053/4262 which was never shut down.

I have to ask: why not?

It certainly doesn’t help with Xojo, but it fits your criteria for being shut down.

The only difference I see: it isn’t critical of Xojo.

The same is true for a number of other threads that have no relevance but continue, while a LOT of posts that can be considered critical and links to other resources (even if Xojo-related) that allow criticism are removed and threads shut down.

So I’m having a hard time swallowing that “we only want to help you by shutting down threads” explanation.

1 Like

It’s also in Off-Topic and meant to be a jovial discussion, not feedback for the Xojo team.

5 Likes

Just curious: what does it talks to ?

Reading its name was not appealing to me, so I left it alone.

There was nothing jovial about some of BH’s comments … they were downright insulting to others.