Which windows version

Hi All
Is there a general consensus on which windows version to install on VMware Fusion. I never moved away from XP even after joining the OSX club. I have some legacy software that will only work on Windows OS. As stable as XP is, its now starting to really show its age and being out of the Windows OS loop for so long, I don’t know which version to install. I have a 2009 24" iMac with 8gb of RAM and El Capitan installed.

windows 7 or windows 10…

I run win7 in VMWare and have since it appeared, also have XP for very old compatibility.
I went through the 8/8.1 debacle because I had an MSDN subscription but never actually used them, but my MSDN licensed version does not allow me to install win 10, therefore it will be win7 until it stops working, its never an issue in the VM, it crashes now and again on my very old HP laptop.

I just use win7 these days to see if the build will actually run on windows and occasionally for embedded code with some Arm processors, all PIC work now runs in MPLABX so thankfully window has become almost unused in my workflow. YAY! at last.
As an OS Win7 has been extremely stable for me in the VM, over a very long time, significantly a better product that XP without much to learn.

Just wondering. How come? I thought anyone could upgrade to Windows 10 who had a valid license (which I thought MSDN ones covered)?

As far as I know, I know nothing about VMWare !

But, making a large step from Windows XP, if I were you, I would install Windows 10: so I am current and I will be able to use it for many years.

And it his one year old, so I feel all major bugs have been removed… (so I believe, and in Microsoft point of view).

I also had a MSDN subscription. Retail licences available through MSDM are updradeable to Windows 10. Multiple activation licences are not. I used the multiple activation licence all the time in my lab for various experimental machines (physical or VM). But there is no point upgraing any of these. Most were erased anyway, shortly after the experiment was done.

On an other topic from this thread, my take on Windows 8 and 8.1 is that the only issue with these versions was the user interface. It was quite easy to fix with Classic Shell or your choice of many other menu replacement applications. In my opinion, the bad reputation of 8 and 8.1 is way overblown. That said, 10 is quite good. If one can upgrade, one has more advantages doing it than not. Of course, some re-installations are to be expected. That said, backwards compatibility is excellent. On one test Windows 10 machine, I am using software designed for Windows XP. Not everything works, but I find that a lot of old software still does.

Technically Windows 8.x is good, but there are dubious choice they should have not made, such as the phone UI and new API forced on whomever wanted to get in the Windows Store.

The UI IMO is inexcusable. They had 25 years of corporate training and people depending on the desktop metaphor. Changing that was akin to place the break pedal of a car on the dashboard. A dangerous insult to users.

As a result Windows 8 never picked up, and their app store remained confidential.

Windows 10 is what 8 should have been : a continuity with Windows 7 UI, with all the bells and whistle of the future like the new application model.

Apparently it works : the last two recent payments from the Windows Store were twice what they used to be. Nowhere near the MAS, but growing fast.

Now when Project Centennial works and the converted applications are accepted in the store, that will be a nice new venue for Xojo apps.

I would go with Windows 10. Microsoft is aggressively migrating users off 7/8 to 10, and soon it will be the predominant version out there. That’s where you’ll want to do your testing.

Take this from an XP die-hard - go for Win 10 if you can. I have recently upgraded 3 of my PCs from Win XP and 7, and I really like 10. Fast, clear, much less screen-space waste on file lists, and you can just clobber most of the ghastly tile thingies.