Where is my Xojo 2014r2 ?

It is due time and Tuesday passed away, so my question:

Where is my Xojo 2014r2 ?

In a hurry?

Must have missed something - where did you get a deadline for the release of 2014R2?

As far as I’m aware there is no such thing… Xojo release versions when they are ready and don’t give/promise release dates.

please check the beta channel.

[quote=98697:@Patrick Delaney]Must have missed something - where did you get a deadline for the release of 2014R2?

As far as I’m aware there is no such thing… Xojo release versions when they are ready and don’t give/promise release dates.[/quote]
Xojo Release a new version every 90 days (usualy some days before, more or less).

90 days ellapsed since Release 1 / Tuesday goes yesterday.
I checked some days ago the release dates for Xojo and they were released on Tuesdays.
And I think one or two times, I checked about the release (by pure hazrad) that day, but minutes before the release and so I get it the day after.

So, I was waiting (this time) about the new release ;-:).

as usual when I bet, I lost !

Anyay, it will come… some day ;-:slight_smile:

Good idea but I cannot. One have to buy Xojo Pro to do that and this is not the case for me.

Thank you for your answers.

[quote=98697:@Patrick Delaney]Must have missed something - where did you get a deadline for the release of 2014R2?

As far as I’m aware there is no such thing… Xojo release versions when they are ready and don’t give/promise release dates.[/quote]
There Item 1: Xojo is released quarterly (90 days…).

For your second sentence “Xojo release versions when they are ready” : are-you proud of it ?
Beside the quarterly releases, Xojo try to avoid promises of any kind.
Of course, sometimes, something slips, unfortunately.

Quarterly is not the same as every 90 days. It means “one release each quarter”

I always thought and still think the rapid release model a silly marketing exercise that stands in the way of reliable and stable releases.

Got a chuckle out of me …

[quote=98705:@Emile Schwarz]There Item 1: Xojo is released quarterly (90 days…).

For your second sentence “Xojo release versions when they are ready” : are-you proud of it ?[/quote]

Personally, I have no problems with Xojo’s release cycle - I’ve never got hung up on the whole 90 day thing.

Which becomes equivalent to every 90 days the moment one release happens at the end of one quarter (and we are getting there).

Just saying, not that I mind much whether it’s 90, 100 or 120 days.

Julen

I think 90 days starts counting after the r1.1 release…

One late but stable and bug-free release is way better than 2 on time, buggy updates. Look up buggy releases in the Oxford dictionary and you will find one word ‘Microsoft’.

[quote=98686:@Emile Schwarz]It is due time and Tuesday passed away, so my question:

Where is my Xojo 2014r2 ?[/quote]

Tuesday was for Windows XP updates :wink:

[quote=98705:@Emile Schwarz]For your second sentence “Xojo release versions when they are ready” : are-you proud of it ?
Beside the quarterly releases, Xojo try to avoid promises of any kind.[/quote]

Any programmer knows that software is never on time. Because of Murphy’s law : when you think your program is ready, you show it to an average Joe, and he clicks exactly where it hurts, so you’re back to debug.

That said, there was one version of Xojo am sure a lot of us anticipated : the one where Quicktime was removed, so we could get back in the MAS :slight_smile:

I like the model adopted by others, they release constantly, no promises about dates, but they have stable releases like this:

Download SoftwareX V3.70p17 2014-03-04 (Preview)
Download SoftwareX V3.70p18 2014-03-07 (Preview)
Download SoftwareX V3.70p19 2014-03-15 (Preview)
Download SoftwareX V3.70    2014-03-21 (**Stable** Release)
Download SoftwareX V3.71p1  2014-04-01 (Preview)

[quote=98764:@Rick Araujo]I like the model adopted by others, they release constantly, no promises about dates, but they have stable releases like this:

Download SoftwareX V3.70p17 2014-03-04 (Preview) Download SoftwareX V3.70p18 2014-03-07 (Preview) Download SoftwareX V3.70p19 2014-03-15 (Preview) Download SoftwareX V3.70 2014-03-21 (**Stable** Release) Download SoftwareX V3.71p1 2014-04-01 (Preview) [/quote]

What makes you say Xojo don’t do this through their Alpha/Beta program?

Besides which, with public beta/preview versions developers will treat it as a stable product and use it (and complain!) in production.

If they do that, they don’t read the release notes, and thus, they aren’t developers. They are anything else. If they use a content where the release notes says explicitly in the first lines “Don’t use in production!” they deserve all the crashes they will find. :slight_smile:

I even have saw some release notes from previews stating things like this “This is a preview release, with minor changes, it’s stable enough to be used in production”.

This model ends the whining. Everybody knows what’s going on.

[quote=98705:@Emile Schwarz]There Item 1: Xojo is released quarterly (90 days…).
[/quote]

Quarterly - once per quarter - not “every 90 days”

Thanks Norman exactly what I was thinking where did everyone get 90 days from. If I tell my wife I will call her daily it does not mean at exactly midnight on the start of each new day it means within each 24 hour period. However if I tell her that I do expect to get moaned at if I don’t. :slight_smile:

You are a lucky guy…