What will become my projects after my death?

I’m not a professionnal developper, I do it in my spare time. But some of my softwares have success. I have 2 daughters who to not software development.
It would be a piy if my work was lost.
I told my daughters to not wast time with my body, throw it in a hole or give it to the pigs, I don’t care. But maybe I could ask them to post here on the forum if someone would be interested in the source code (to give it).
Did you think about that?
For the professionnals, did you tell someone where and how sell your work?

1 Like

In 2019 I wrote a will. I have a verbal agreement with a friend that he will take over my code in case I die. I should add that information to my will.

1 Like

what happens if you and your friend die at the same time …?

You mean if Vlad send us a nuclear weapon? My softwares would be our last problems at this time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Then the German government can do what it wants with my stuff.

2 Likes

In 2014 my then best friend died from a heart attack. Jogging - gone. The guy loved having a complex IT setup at home for this family. He wrote everything down except the main password.

What about putting your stuff in a free private git account as those in GitLab, and making a will explaining that you wish it being set as public after your depart, so whoever finds your work after it they can continue from there or use it? And obviously, write down in your will all the necessary passwords, permits, etc.

there are millions of software projects.
you could transferre the ownership for someone with interest.
you could make it open source.
without care i think in a few years software projects get useless, broken as always.

1 Like

You can do that when you get sick but not when you drop dead. And I’m quite sure that your family will not know where your source code is.

2 Likes

nor your main password …

1 Like

After your death, they will find it, if you, as Beatrix, made a Will giving the directions of it.

1 Like

Get a will and trust with an estate planning attorney where you can specify exactly what you want to have happen.

1 Like

There are also technical hurdles in leaving someone your code even if its at Gitlab / GitHub or Bitbucket.

There are things like 2 factor authentication, login from new browser / location or new computer. And other such.

Will be hard for someone else to resolve all that.

2 Likes

I gave it some thought as well, being 71. The thing is, it would take another Xojo programmer to pick up where I left. Since my son did not catch my programming fever, I have to admit my creations won’t survive me much longer than the time it takes the App Store or the Microsoft Store to disable apps that have not been updated in a while.

2 Likes

I agree with that, but if you plan ahead and give your son the instructions on how to renew your App Store developer account each year (maybe the same for Microsoft), the apps will continue generating revenue for a few years.
I expect my iOS apps to outlive me for 3-4 years if I die today.

1 Like

I can solve that with one click.

But then you have sacrificed security.

Having been in number of leaks here and there over the years then I have Two factor authentication on everywhere I can.

And in most cases one would not know that their about to die to go and turn it off if wanting to slack it just for that.

2 Likes

A bit. I don’t use passwords like 1234, more like as#$%sdf@gsd13, until now, no leaks found.

Oh are you actually advocating for turning off 2FA?
I thought you were joking.
Yikes.

1 Like

Linked in 3 times leaked my Password in known data leaks for example. So would not have helped one bit to have longer password or more complex password