what version of os x will be needed for iOS compilation with xojo ?

Hi,
I did not make extensive search, but still I did not find the answer .
will yosemite be required to compile for ios ?
I understand that you need the ios simulator that is bundled with xcode
and apple wants you to run the latest mac os to use xcode.
so
will I be ok with an 10.8 or will I need 10.10 in a couple of months when xojo for iOS will be released ?
thanks.

If the current version of Xcode is needed you will need 10.9.3 or higher.

Mavericks and XCode 6 minimum. Yosemite not required. See https://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios/index.action

Why do you care ?

Yosemite and XCode 6.1 are free.

Now, if you do not own a computer where you can run both, I will understand.

[quote=138433:@Emile Schwarz]Why do you care ?

Yosemite and XCode 6.1 are free.

Now, if you do not own a computer where you can run both, I will understand.[/quote]

ITP: People that have old computers don’t exist.

According to these two apple documents http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444 and http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5842 if you can run 10.8 you can run 10.9

These responses are all true for APPLE Dev tools (ObjC and Swift)… but may or may not be true for whatever XOJO is producing… It may not require XCODE at all…

To use iOS Simulator don’t you need to install Xcode?

Xcode 6 requires Mavericks or later.

Yes. And to use Xojo with iOS, you need the latest version of xcode.

This I had not seen documented any where… in that case this product better offer a huge incentive over ObjC (not hard to do) or Swift (much harder to do, provide incentive that is… )

If you can produce iOS apps with Swift, why would you want to use Xojo? The incentive is for people who can’t or don’t want to use Swift/Obj-C.

my understanding had been that XOJO iOS was a standalone product just like Desktop … You built you code just like you do today… pushed the BUILD/RUN button and tested it within a XOJO supplied environment.

What you are inferring is that some intermediary code step (albeit automatic) would fire up XCODE and then iOS Simulator… meaning that an understanding of how XCODE works would still be required at some level.

Heck I have a rudimentary translator that goes from “BASIC” syntax to ObjC syntax to XCODE… (and that was thrown together in a few weeks)

Once I get a better handles on SWIFT the OBJC part is trash…

[quote=138524:@Dave S]my understanding had been that XOJO iOS was a standalone product just like Desktop … You built you code just like you do today… pushed the BUILD/RUN button and tested it within a XOJO supplied environment.

What you are inferring is that some intermediary code step (albeit automatic) would fire up XCODE and then iOS Simulator… meaning that an understanding of how XCODE works would still be required at some level.

Heck I have a rudimentary translator that goes from “BASIC” syntax to ObjC syntax to XCODE… (and that was thrown together in a few weeks)

Once I get a better handles on SWIFT the OBJC part is trash…[/quote]

All iOS products today use XCode to provide the simulator, sign the apps and transfer them to the device with the provisional certificate for testing. The level of understanding is minimal but required.

Most solutions out there are actually doing just the same as what your product does : generate Obj-C code from a graphic environment. As whether you should or not trash OBJ-C to go Swift, that is your choice. When your product will be complete (which I think you should do), hopefully the user will not need to edit the target code to produce working applications. In a way, it is not that dissimilar to the current IDE : no need to learn assembler to use Xojo :wink:

[quote=138517:@Dave S]@Tim Hare Yes. And to use Xojo with iOS, you need the latest version of xcode.
This I had not seen documented any where… in that case this product better offer a huge incentive over ObjC (not hard to do) or Swift (much harder to do, provide incentive that is… )[/quote]

The incentive is simple : Basic, Swift and Objective-C are different languages altogether. I may not want to learn Hungarian or Russian to write a book, when I already master English and French. Xojo iOS will provide a familiar environment to users so they can concentrate on their ideas, and not the peculiarities of an abstruse jargon. Not everybody has your ability to learn Swift :wink:

You need xcode installed because it provides the simulator.

It also provides the tools required for code signing the binary, which is required to put the application on the device.

No
Since you can’t get the simulator or the signing tools without getting Xcode you need Xcode
But from Xojo you NEVER see Xcode run (in fact it doesn’t)
Its just you need Xcode to get access to the bits required

[quote=138652:@Norman Palardy]No
Since you can’t get the simulator or the signing tools without getting Xcode you need Xcode
But from Xojo you NEVER see Xcode run (in fact it doesn’t)
Its just you need Xcode to get access to the bits required[/quote]
Hi Norman,
so xojo directly compiles for iOS, it is not sending source to xcode which compiles for iOS ?
xojo then runs the iOS simulator that is provided with xcode, latest version or so.
I dont understand the licencing system with xojo for iOS
will you be able to compile for the iOS simulator without a xojo iOS licence, and xojo running in debug mode ?

Am I correct to assume that iOS version will have a “run in the simulator for free, pay to deploy” license similar to what XOJO desktop has?

My observation has been that using XCODE and the iOSSimulator an xyz.APP file is produced…which is not the same as, nor compatible with the xyz.IPA file required for deployment. Hence “simulator”. And there are things the simulator cannot do, that the application would be able to do on a real device.

Correct.