What programmers think of end-users

Oh come now. You might be giving end users way too much credit. :slight_smile:

That’s how I felt when I first tried Windows 8.

I always made fun of the windows start button, then found myself begging for a start menu so that I could navigate the stupid UI.

and he must have been right… look how many copies of Windows have been sold. :smiley:

Hey, it keeps us in business. If the OS worked perfectly, we’d be like the Maytag repairman. Be thankful for the flaws…

The OS vendors and the end users have been putting food on my family table for decades. Bring em on :stuck_out_tongue:

Aren’t we all users, too? And surely each of us has cursed at a TV, a phone or a car because the §$%& thing didn’t behave as we thought it should?

Cars are getting more software by the day. Mostly done by engineers who think that more options are good.

Microsoft Support Desk - the questions they receive are hilarious:

‘I pushed F1 - at what time are you arriving exactly?’
‘How to operate the foot switch?’
‘The cup holder is stuck’

I’ve been working on a technical-support-department back in 96. The software-developers spoke about losers rather than customers. It did not take me long to know who really were the losers, which made me beloved by the customers yelling for better software. Remember when you are building software: the customer has the money, you’re just his servant.
Software will only exist as long as a customer wants to use it.

Customers aren’t always right, but they should feel like they are.

My job would be a lot easier if I was the only user of my software :wink: But then I wouldn’t have a job…

Very well said! I’m saving this one to my collected quotes.

Well the phenomenon of a user is often something a programmer cannot predict. Where I used to work in the past we once got support case from furious user (hospital doctor - those were often a bit difficult on computers) who said the mouse moved strangely when he moved it up in our software the mouse went down and when he moved it right the pointer went left.
Eventually our testing guy figured out to ask him from which side of the mouse the coord came !!!

There are often just cases like that where you as programmer just need to hold your breath and count to three.

I really hope that’s not how me make @Joe Ranieri feel.
I think we’re the end users in this case.

[quote=213327:@Dirk Cleenwerck]I really hope that’s not how me make @Joe Ranieri feel.
I think we’re the end users in this case.[/quote]
:slight_smile:

… like this? : https://forum.xojo.com/25532-what-programmers-think-of-end-users/p1#p211894
(the intuitive-software enduser oxymoron …)

this is one of the main reasons that a few months ago I swapped my 2012 Ford Mondeo for a 1992 Mercedes 190e.
the Mercedes is also a LOT more comfortable :slight_smile:

Can’t remember if I heard this phrase here or maybe it was a Dilbert strip…

“The trouble with trying to make something idiot-proof is that you tend to underestimate how idiotic people will be”

[quote=213008:@Beatrix Willius]
Cars are getting more software by the day. Mostly done by engineers who think that more options are good.[/quote]
There was a story on the news yesterday about car makers installing automatic braking systems on cars to stop the car if it gets too close to an object ahead of you. I’m sure that isn’t the last “automatic safety feature” that will be thought up.

Has anybody read Isaac Asimov’s I, Robot (the book, not the movie)? I wonder what will happen when multiple “safety features” encounter a dilemma? Will the system be able to determine the optimum action or will it develop a “cybernetic psychosis”?

Isn’t a warped imagination a wonderful thing?

I hope those automatic stop systems are better than the collision warning system in my own car. It has bright LED’s and a loud beeper that it flashes if you’re driving into something it thinks is stationary. If you have your foot on the brake then it doesn’t go off.

It has yet to alert me to to something I didn’t know was in front of me, but it has gone off many times when a car in front of me was making a right turn and slowing down to do so even though I was watching and knew there was plenty of space given my speed for them to get out of the way. If it had slammed on my brakes for me in those situations the guy behind me would have hit me…

I also love my adaptive cruise control but the forward looking radar has limitations too. It really works great around curves and in situations where I’ve watched what it would do. The only time it’s lost it was while driving in the mountains in Northern Georgia. I came up to one hill that was steep enough that it thought the roadway in front of me was a stationary car. In that case it did apply the brakes sharply because it knew that it was driving. It was a bit of a surprise for me but did not cause any serious issues. We need better sensors before those things can really take over for you. Which I assume those self driving cars have :wink:

What will end up happening (as it always does)… Someone will be driving one of these cars with crash avoidance, radar, sonar, adaptive artificial intelligene, and then run into something, and sue the AUTO MANUFACTURING, because the computer failed to drive the car that THEY were behind the wheel of.

I have been in the computer industry for 40 years, and guess what… I don’t trust them… why? because “we” program them :slight_smile: