What NAS is considered best for running Xojo apps?

I have three Synology NAS systems.
#1 - is for entertainment use only: watching TV shows, movies, storing my personal pictures, etc
#2 - is for my business related files, like my Xojo projects backup, video projects, etc…
#3 - is an off-site mirror of #2.

I want to buy a 4th one. Just to run Xojo apps on. I just don’t know what kind I should get. I don’t want to temper with y existing ones. I tried to play around with my NAS #1. But couldn’t get my Xojo apps run on it.

On my Synology systems I can run a webserver. It does have CGI-support. But for some reason I can’t get the permissions right. Even when I set the permissions on 777 it won’t give me write permissions :confused:

Are there any Xojo folks experienced with having Xojo apps run on a NAS?

which model Synology boxes are they?
I believe someone earlier mentioned that XOJO apps would NOT run on the ARM based NAS boxes, which “most” of the Synology are.

#1 box is a DS14play
#2 and #3 are DS213j

Well… I guess I have to look for anything ese but an ARM based NAS :confused:

The DS14play is an INTEL CPU
and I bet all models ABOVE that are as well
the others use Marvell Armada processors

I use a DS211J as a Time Machine backup

Why do you want to run those programs on a NAS?
Personally i would go for one of these barebones if it’s only for testing XOJO-webapps:
https://www.alternate.nl/html/search.html?query=zotac&x=0&y=0

I would deploy my apps on a Pi using the NAS for storage & probably a mySQL server (they all seem to come with one built in). A web app springs to mind, that way the UI can be presented on all your devices. You can probably power your Pi from the USB port on the NAS device too.

[quote=268184:@Andre Kuiper]Why do you want to run those programs on a NAS?
Personally i would go for one of these barebones if it’s only for testing XOJO-webapps:
https://www.alternate.nl/html/search.html?query=zotac&x=0&y=0[/quote]

That’s an interesting approach! And I actually thought of that, too. I just might getting me one of those :slight_smile:

I have Pi laying around. I will do some testing this weekend!

are there any bench comparing the Pi and some NAS with intel processors ?
I’m pretty sure the Pi is not really fast compared to them.

It’s realy slow especially if your webapp contains a little more than a simple ‘Hello World’, but also most Intel based NAS’s are not very fast because they mostly use a Celeron or an Atom and those aren’t strong performers for web-apps.

Pi is ok only for a low-end NAS because of usb2 and ethernet 10/100-Mbit,and if you go wireless is very slow.