What 'is' a WebListBox?

I have to port an application from Xojo (a Web app) into Java.
I don’t relish this task but it has to be done.
I decided to use Swing to do the GUI.
I found a JListBox and JTextArea and thought ‘great’ this isn’t going to be soooo bad.
Then I tried to run them as Java Applet… That’s when I started missing Xojo.
It seems that Applets are deprecated in Chrome and need all sorts of security settings to work in FireFox etc.

So I started asking myself, “What is a WebListBox in Xojo?”. is it javascript?
Can I snarf the javascript classes from my xojo app and use them as client side classes and talk to them from the server side java?

No. Besides the fact that the code belongs to Xojo, what is in Javascript is only half of what you’d need to make it work. The rest of it is in Xojo code in your web app.

any one have any suggestions for a web development gui for Java?
I have IntelliJ

I think you’ll find that “IDE” in that realm means “code editor + integrated version control” but not a RAD too in terms of being able to draw a UI and then add code to it
At least thats been my experience

My suggestion is find another technology.
As you’ve discovered, Java applets are on their way out and not really web friendly.

A user has to approve the applet to launch, then wait for the applet to download, then wait for it to load and start - the whole process can take a long time. Not user friendly really.

If you’re looking for a fast easy way to style a table (listboxes display tabular data) Bootstrap has some nice styles.

[quote=214912:@Tim Parnell]My suggestion is find another technology.
As you’ve discovered, Java applets are on their way out and not really web friendly.

A user has to approve the applet to launch, then wait for the applet to download, then wait for it to load and start - the whole process can take a long time. Not user friendly really.

If you’re looking for a fast easy way to style a table (listboxes display tabular data) Bootstrap has some nice styles.[/quote]
And if he user icon OS X, it’s likely that they’ll have to install it too.