What Book Would You Recommend Someone To Read?

As we now have a topic “What (non-programming) book are you reading?” It could also be interesting to know what book(s) you would recommend to another person

Here are a list of books I could recommend if your are interested in those subjects mentioned below:

• The Code Book by Simon Singh (I’ve read it twice and still love it)

• Practical Cryptography By Niels Ferguson and Bruce Schneier

• Understanding Cryptography by Christof Paar and Jan Pelzl (You can also follow the video course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aHkqB2-46k&list=PL6N5qY2nvvJE8X75VkXglSrVhLv1tVcfy )

• The First Six Books of The Elements Of Euclid By Oliver Byrne ( Written in old English and represented in coloured diagrams and symbols are used instead of letters )

• Nonviolent Communication by Marshall B. Rosenberg (Very useful in your daily life)

• Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

For personal development (especially if it is the first time you read a book on personal development):
The Motivation Manifesto by Bredon Burchard (Video link)

If you are a manager, business owner, entrepreneur, or thinking about starting your own business:
Running Lean by Ash Maurya

The School of Greatness by Lewis Howes
If you are into entrepeneurship and personal development.

I would also recommend Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. He won a Nobel prize for this work, and it gives you a deeper understanding about how our thought process works.

If you are interested in making yourself rich without breaking ethics or compromising your values:
The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace D Wattles.

Oh, and I forgot to mention two life changing books. If you read nothing else in your lifetime, you at least just want to read these two books.

They are practical, easy reads, and can make an enormous positive difference to your wellbeing:

Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry
Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson

Here are a few non-fiction books that I highly recommend…

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
by Cal Newport
Advice and strategies for getting important things done. When people ask why I never answer my phone (it’s always on “do not disturb”), I refer them to this.

The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living
by Ryan Holiday
An introduction to the philosophy of Stoicism. If you’re looking to simplify your life, this is a good way to get started.

Rework
by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson
Unconventional advice for running a business, regardless of the business type or size.

And a couple of fiction books…

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: A Novel
by Mark Haddon
A fictional murder mystery with a twist.

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
by Raymond Carver
A collection of short stories from one of America’s greatest writers and poets.

I’m definitely going to pluck a few books from your list for reading Tim.

If you were allowed to only recommend one book from the following two, which one would it be?

[quote=348450:@Tim Dietrich]Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
by Cal Newport
Advice and strategies for getting important things done. When people ask why I never answer my phone (it’s always on “do not disturb”), I refer them to this.

The Daily Stoic: 366 Meditations on Wisdom, Perseverance, and the Art of Living
by Ryan Holiday
An introduction to the philosophy of Stoicism. If you’re looking to simplify your life, this is a good way to get started.[/quote]

I would recommend Deep Work by Cal Newport first.

You might also want to check out his site / blog:
http://calnewport.com