What a time in which we live

When I can sit on the beach and converse with you all from a device that fits in my pocket. It’s every day life now but when you stop and really think about it, it’s almost magical.

Now if only there was a device to clear out the June gloom and give us some sun :slight_smile:

Geoff,

I an older than you and the changes in my lifetime certainly have been huge!

I remember vacuum tube TVs (not talking about the screen!) and watching first run Star Trek TOS in black and white. In high school, while the rest of us were using slides on rich kid had a 4 function calculator! In college I had to use a Keypunch to code in BASCIC and FORTRAN!

My first on line experience was with a 300 baud modem to connect to local BBSes ( How long has it been since they disappeared?)

I even remember phone booths! :wink:

Geoff sann

You are living in reverse side of Earth for me. But we can join some thoughts and emotions or Impressions together. It is amazing!
Sometime, I feel strongly just living 21’Century that we dreamed brighter future. The World has many problems, but has more hopeful things too. That is our reality.

Karen… Karen. Karen…

Calculators in HIGH SCHOOL???.. now you make ME feel old. The first “affordable” calculators just became available when I graduated from High School… and that was my graduation present from my parents… a Trig capable calculator that cost them over $700!! (I had to replace it a few years later, as it fell off the back of my motorcycle… and the replacement cost me only $99 … same thing you can get for $10 today)

The first “personal computer” I ever used… I (and a friend) BUILT… it weighed in at about 100 pounds, cost $7,000 (not our money… we had a client :slight_smile: )… and dimmed the lights when you turned it on. It had a 22amp (yes as in 2400 watt) power supply… and a whooping 48K (K, not meg, not gig, “K”) of memory [power supply could not handle the max of 64K]. And we loaded CP/M and Basic-A from an 8" floppy disk [EIGHT inches, not 5 inches… not 3.5 inchs… not a CD or DVD :slight_smile: ]… AFTER we booted the computer from a PAPER-TAPE

Yes… things have certainly changed… Today I am typing this on a 27" iMac with 3 monitors, 8 gig of memory (175,000 times the memory?)… not to mention 10,000x faster [at least]…

Wonder what tomorrow will bring?

FWIW, when I was about 12, my dad brought home a Texas Instruments portable terminal. It had no screen, just a thermal printer and it had acoustic couplers that you’d plug the phone into to connect to the VAX mainframe at my dad’s work. I’ll bet that like Karen’s, the modem was 300 baud. We could write little programs in BASIC and play the original Adventure game though the system prevented us from playing between 9am and 5pm on weekdays.

I would ride my bike to the University of California at Irvine, stopping at the computer science building. I’d find my way to the lab and buy a stack of punch cards for 50 cents. Feeding them into a punch card machine, I would just sit there typing on them because that’s what I saw everyone else doing. I had no idea how to write code. I just wanted to be there because to me, computers were a way to touch the future. It was like living Star Trek in just some tiny way. Why no one every bothered me at the lab I can’t explain. Eventually, my dad bought a Franklin ACE 1000 which was an Apple II clone. He wouldn’t pay the extra money for the Apple brand because anyway they were “probably a fly-by-night company that will be out of business in a year.” He ended up paying far more in repair costs for that Franklin than the Apple II would have ever cost.

Our first TV was black and white which my parents kept far too long to avoid making it any more attractive than it already was. And yet it was watching Star Trek on that TV that ignited my interest in what would become a life-long passion and my career choice. How ironic.

I had it good with my first exposure to computers. Back in 1972, my junior high school math teacher had a brother who was responsible for bringing an IBM 1500 to the local university. We got a 2 hour session every Wednesday for almost 2 years. It was an APL computer with 20 terminals. I got seriously spoiled with my own terminal and it even had a light pen. APL was the language of linear algebra. Invert a matrix with one command.

When I started university in 1976, we had an Amdahl (IBM clone). No terminals for this beast, it was punch cards. I really got a bad taste for computing and dropped the course. In 1981, I bought a Commodore VIC-20 with a whopping 3.5 kilobytes of memory. Quickly restored my interest in computing. I really like instant gratification. Went on to build an S-100 computer running CP/M-86 and Turbo Pascal. I keep a couple 8" floppy disks around my office to show my users how we used to do it.

[quote=12637:@Geoff Perlman]When I can sit on the beach
[/quote]
I can hear the waves from my local beach but I need these big screens to be able to code so most days I am indoors with the windows open feeling like I should be outdoors :slight_smile:

Come to Australia and see what a real beach looks like :stuck_out_tongue:

I lived just outside Sydney for two years when I was a child and loved every moment, beaches, bugs, lizards and all. I just didn’t want Geoff to think he was the only one with a beach :slight_smile:

[quote=36760:@Carl Clarke]I can hear the waves from my local beach but I need these big screens to be able to code so most days I am indoors with the windows open feeling like I should be outdoors :slight_smile:

[/quote]

where is this place??

tretat? (Normandie, France)

It is a view of Seaford Head taken from Seaford Bay, in Sussex. England. You can see it from the eastern side in the photograph at the bottom of this Wikipedia article, it is the left most cliff. As you know the weather is not great in England unless you really like grey skies but we probably get the best that England offers here.

You can see in the Daily Mail photo below of Eastbourne Pier (just east past Seven Sisters) that the nearest woman is most probably local and the farthest woman is probably from the north of England.

From a global perspective, I wasn’t too far away then… :slight_smile:

It looks very beautiful.

Pixe

Pixie - you are so close! Just an English Channel (La Manche) away. You will find that the landscape here is mirrored in Normandy, the theory is that before the sea levels rose (again) we were joined with France and so the land is very similar on both sides of the channel.

I think that France is more pretty at least architecture wise.

tretat beach on the other side of the English Channel (sorry Pixie I mean La Manche :slight_smile: )

Hah. I remember when it was announced that TV would start being emitted in colour at some specific date, I was around 7 or so, and I stared at our TV all day waiting for colours to appear. I had never realized we’d need a NEW TV for the colors to appear (which we didn’t get for five years :-/ )

Before color TV came out, my grandparents were suckered into buying a black and white TV that had an extra plug in the back. The salesman said that when color TV technology was introduced they’d just be able to buy some part and plug it in…magically converting the TV to color. Oddly enough, it didn’t quite work that way.

look the these two cliff in uk and france use to join together.

Yes, a long time ago we were not an Island Nation - we could walk to France (about 80 miles from here to Dieppe), we have many similar words in our languages although the French have difficulty in pronouncing them :wink: I have heard it said before that ‘English is French with a lazy tongue’.

Hey, something is missing with all those pictures of the sea.

I’m getting hungry :slight_smile: