Weird regional thing with values and commas?

[quote=376142:@Markus Winter]Because if you are in Europe and save in US format (eg MMDDYY) but want to open the data in another app on your computer (which uses the locale and expects DDMMYY) then you are in trouble.

But if you save in EU format and send it to someone in the US then you again run into problems.

According to Tim the first way is a “standard” which I find doubtful as data exchange with other apps on your computer and other users in your country is far more prevalent than data exchange with users in other countries.[/quote]

What I said still stands. You keep all internal data (numbers / dates) used by your app in a specific format and only deal with localisation issues when you receive data and when you make data available to the outside world.

Formats such as XML & JSON seem to standardise on a decimal point as the numeric decimal separator. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a standard date format for both as well.

Unix Timestamp anyone? :wink:

SQLDate, SQLDateTime.

Format is also your friend to display Integer, doubles, etc. Look for the decimal character (not dot or comma; decimal character = int’l savy):
http://documentation.xojo.com/index.php/Format

What is a Gallon ?

8 Pints.
But the US and UK cannot agree how big a pint is either… :slight_smile: