Website download of your Xojo application

Hi all! I’m curious about how you all provide access to download your Xojo desktop applications. I have a desktop application for Windows and Linux that I’d like to make available. Pls kindly let me know if this is not an appropriate question for this forum. I’m new at this. Here are some specific questions:

1. Do you prefer having your own website where customers can download your desktop application (free or for a price)?
  2. Do you use a website hosting service such as WordPress to develop and host your website? If so, which one do you prefer?
  3. Do you prefer another public site such as GitHub to make your desktop applications available? If so, which one?
  4. Does your install.exe include the entire desktop application and related files or does it link to a host site that then downloads the application and finishes the install?
  5. Any other advice on how to accomplish my goals appreciated.

Regards

1. Yes, I have a website.
  2. Never ever Wordpress. I use RapidWeaver which is macOS only.
  3. No Github. I’ve recently switched to a CDN for the downloads of the app.
  4. For historical reasons I have a self-written installer.

For Windows I have seen discussions about InnoSetup.

1. Yes, I have a hosted website (SiteGround).
  2. I use EverWeb.
  3. No.
  4. Full application (zipped .app and InnoSetup .exe).
  5. I wrote my own Sparkle (for Desktop and Web apps) to perform version updates. Use the App Stores, if you can.
  1. Do you prefer having your own website Yes
  2. Do you use Wordpress RapidWeaver → HTML
  3. Do you prefer another public site such as GitHub No, but I have a reseller to handle the sales/downloads
  4. Does your install.exe include the entire desktop application and related files Yes - zipped
  1. Yes, I have a website where people can download spreadsheet files and documentation. I’m retired and only do pro-bono work.

2. My website is hosted by Cloudflare. They offer a free version. I use it because I have set up several Apple “personal.com” email accounts linked to my “iCloud.com” ones - Apple use Cloudflare for this. I’m old, so the website was written with a text editor - Xcode :slight_smile:

3. I use Github, the site is Public. This is linked to website host. Any changes made to the site automatically propagate to Cloudflare - See https://desktop.github.com/ to download desktop local tool.

4. When I distributed Apps, everything was in an installer inside a zip file.

For a small site, the free version of Cloudflare works well for me. I like their free tools. They offer paid versions for large/busy sites…

Cheers, Tim