WebApp *IDEAL* server/hosting service

Ok, so I’ve lost quite a bit of body fat sitting waiting for XOJO hosting lol, jk. But anyways… I had BlueHost 64Bit, CentOS 6.4 and well… it didn’t go so well. I installed all the 32bit libraries… and got everything going so far as to be able to run a webapp that was LITERALLY, just a single button in the middle of the page which did LITERALLY nothing. No other web app would run. Always some “error launching on port blah blah blah” message… So frustrating… after a few days, I gave up.

I noticed Bluehost is not listed on the approved hosts for XOJO web apps. Can anyone please advise which route to go with hosting that is as close to out-of-the-box as possible to get web apps running. Not being able to get webapps running is killing my creativity here :wink: Please help if possible!!

Try here Highly recommended by several users on the forum.

I have found Dreamhost to be very workable for me. It’s not “out of the box” type setup, but I have the right amount of control at a reasonable price. (www.dreamhost.com)

I use and love Dreamhost, BUT there is one thing to watch out for with their VPSs. They currently have two flavors that are assigned basically at random. One flavor works fine with Xojo web apps if you install 32 bit libraries. The other does not. The flavor that does not uses large XFS storage, and there are well documented problems with 32 bit apps of all kinds (especially older versions of Flash server) accessing that storage. The symptom is that the app just won’t launch.

Dreamhost support has not been particularly helpful on this. They’ve acknowledged the issue and transition and suggested that my tools vendor should provide 64 bit support :-).

But, if you get lucky and get a VPS that works, you should be OK until they decide to transition it to new storage.

Did you set the application identifier? They have to be different for each web app you try to run.

How do you do that ?

Under shared build settings you’ll see the application identifier. If you follow convention its usually your tld.domain.app for instance com.xojo.forums if forums were written in Xojo.

Allright. I see, now. I did not set different identifiers before, I shall do it now.

Thank you, Phillip.

Brad’s right. But I wouldn’t rely on being lucky. They do periodically move accounts from one physical server to another. You can wake up one morning and find your WE app doesn’t work and their tech support is unwilling to move you back to a server where it will work.

[quote=43570:@Daniel Taylor]Brad’s right. But I wouldn’t rely on being lucky. They do periodically move accounts from one physical server to another. You can wake up one morning and find your WE app doesn’t work and their tech support is unwilling to move you back to a server where it will work.
[/quote]

Actually, this has not happened to me or the other developers I help on DreamHost. I have several VPSs with them. They have been meticulous about notifying about scheduled server upgrades, timeframes, and what they hope to accomplish. Daniel’s experience with DreamHost may be different. I’m not discounting it, just saying the level of uncertainty he describes is not consistent with my experience.

It happened to me, and I dropped them as a result. At the time I was only using them as a test bed and potential backup. Had a primary site been on that VPS account, it would have been down for over two weeks while I argued with their tech support.

I do not recall if their server upgrade notice mentioned XFS. But that doesn’t matter much if you can’t convince them to keep you on or move you to a non-XFS server.

This is of course my opinion, but I would not risk that kind of down time.

This happened to me with Hostgator. They did eventually put me on a server that worked. But it was several elevated tickets later. Probably 3 days of downtime. I like the idea of a host that is familiar with Xojo.

That would be my recommendation. Absent that, I think I would go with a Windows VPS. (Microsoft’s own Azure is nice.) Xojo apps are very much self contained on Windows. You don’t have to have a specific configuration or set of libraries.

Yes I set the identifier :confused: I switched back to shared hosting on BlueHost, just trying to figure out the highest value / cheapest solution to turn to next. So bummed sitting here dead in the water.