webapp doesn't start

The problem is that the script was working all the time. I keep a backup every day, so I can go back. So I will try this.
I lost already three days on this damn thing. Must be something simple.

[quote=185711:@roland brouwers]The problem is that the script was working all the time. I keep a backup every day, so I can go back. So I will try this.
I lost already three days on this damn thing. Must be something simple.[/quote]

Have you tried using an older version ? Did that happen when you built with a new version of Xojo ? It must be something simple indeed, you got to do like one does when an umbrella is forgotten somewhere : visit every place you have been through until you find the thing.

This is really crazy.
I had to go back to apr 2014 to find a version that could be launched.
My App was doing fine until shortly. How is this possible.
Could this be a version problem?

I would like to compare the version of apr 2014 with the next version that fails.
How can I do this in a readable way.

[quote=186063:@roland brouwers]This is really crazy.

I would like to compare the version of apr 2014 with the next version that fails.
How can I do this in a readable way.[/quote]

Could it be that your host upgraded the system and some libs are now missing ?

[quote=186063:@roland brouwers]This is really crazy.

How can I do this in a readable way.[/quote]
First of all, launching the app from the command line using the .cgi script is not going to work. It relies on Apache sending some variables along as environment variables.

Have you tried just launching the app itself (without the .cgi extension)? If there’s a problem with the app, like a missing component, it’ll usually crash right there.

You should also try running led on the app as it may tell you about other in satisfied dependencies.

ldd yourAppName

Lastly, put some code into App.unhandledException to write the exception name and stack to a log file on disk. If none of the above situations are true, that may help narrow it down.

Sorry for not responding. I have a meeting in Berlin this weekend. Fly back home today. I will pick this up again tonight.

My latest version is 2014 3r1. So yesterday I downloaded the latest version, but that was even worse. I didn’t continue experimenting because I don’t have a good connection here.

I will try the above.
Thanks

I found some time, waiting for the plane.

I launched the app without .cgi and there was no error

Next:

# ldd itactwebbestek linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00510000) libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x007de000) libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x007e5000) libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00645000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00623000)
What does this tell me???

[quote=186254:@roland brouwers]I found some time, waiting for the plane.

I launched the app without .cgi and there was no error

Next:

# ldd itactwebbestek linux-gate.so.1 => (0x00510000) libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x007de000) libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x007e5000) libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00645000) /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00623000)
What does this tell me???[/quote]

It shows that, as reported by the system, the issue resides in the CGI.

Not necessarily.

If you mean “in the .cgi file,” I highly doubt it. That file is the same one that is used by everyone, including those users on Xojo Cloud.

If, on the other hand, you mean “in the binary,” I suspect you are correct.

The “ldd” command tells us that there are no missing libraries that it can detect. The fact that it did not print an error when you launched it tells us that you probably have the right files in the libs directory.

I’d suggest adding code to App.UnhandledException and see if something is dying that way by writing the exception and stack trace to a log file.

I added in App.UnhandledException

If error <> Nil Then Dim type As String = Introspection.GetType(error).Name MsgBox(type + EndOfLine + EndOfLine + Join(error.Stack, EndOfLine)) return false End If return True

I never used this before
Where should I look for what…?

I tried something else, and launched the app from the commandline like:

/opt/xojo/xojo2014r31/Xojo /home/tbred/UTILS/containers/itactWebBestekHead.xojo_binary_project

and I got the following:

libocci.so.10.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory[RB] Unable to load plugin OraclePlugin.xojo_plugin

(Xojo:4157): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_menu_attach_to_widget(): menu already attached to GtkImageMenuItem

and now another app that also worked all the time doesn’t start anymore.

[h]Conclusion:[/h]
I have three servers
Server 1 - CentOS 6 (the first one) who was functioning correctly all the time until shortly
Server 2 - CentOS 6 - a complete new installation, who never did the job
Server 3 - CentOS 7 - does the job , I mean he can be used as a webserver, but I cannot install Xojo on it. That’s why I installed the previous one CentOS 6

[h]I have the impression that an installation of Xojo on the server does something wrong under certain circomstances[/h]

[quote=186447:@roland brouwers]I added in App.UnhandledException

If error <> Nil Then Dim type As String = Introspection.GetType(error).Name MsgBox(type + EndOfLine + EndOfLine + Join(error.Stack, EndOfLine)) return false End If return True

I never used this before
Where should I look for what…?[/quote]
You can’t use MsgBox there. There’s no session in place at that point to show the data. You’ll need to use a textoutputstream or binarystream to write the data to a file.

I changed the code like you asked. See down below – This code generated no errorfile

[h]Overall conclusion [/h]

A. I have 3 webservers installed

1. CentOS 6: The oldest one who ran my app without any problem until shortly (Xojo 2014 3r1 installed)
  2. CentOS 6: The latest, who could never run my app (Xojo 2014 3r1 installed)
  3. CentOS 7: Who does the job , but no Xojo runtime installed (To complicated to do on version 7 of CentOS)

B. On servers 1 and 2, I executed the app without the .cgi and it generated now errors

C. I compared the settings in /var/www/cgi-bin/ on server 2 and 3 and they are the same .

[h]I have the impression that an installation of Xojo runtime on the server does something wrong under certain conditions[/h]

Code in app.event.unhandeldException

[code] If error <> Nil Then
dim p As string
if TargetLinux then
p=""
else
p=“c:\”
End If
dim fOut As FolderItem = GetFolderItem(p+“logXojoErrors”,FolderItem.PathTypeShell)
if fOut <>Nil then
dim ts As TextOutputStream
if not fOut.Exists then
ts = TextOutputStream.Create(fOut)
else
ts = TextOutputStream.Append(fOut)
end if

Dim type As String = Introspection.GetType(error).Name
  dim m9 As string = type +","+join(error.Stack,EndOfLine)
  ts.WriteLine m9
  ts.Close
end If
return false

End If
return True[/code]

The newer centos server, is that a 32 or 64 bit install? If it’s 64-bit, did you remember to install the 32-bit compatibility libraries?

If you mean this:
/usr/bin/yum -y install glib2.i686 libgcc.i686 libstdc++.i686
yes I did.

I installed another server CentOS 6.6, without the Xojo installation.
This server launches the app without any error.

So it must have something to do with Xojo installation.

So I will install xojo 2014 3r1 tomorrow and see what happens with the webserver.
Now I will go to sleep, it is almost 11 pm. It was a long day

Some days ago I succeeded to install Xojo on two new servers.
The server which is on-line still has the problem and I can’t find the problem

So this is the way until know

install CentOS 6 webserver yum update install vncserver yum groupinstall "Desktop" install 32 bit libraries-> /usr/bin/yum -y install glib2.i686 libgcc.i686 libstdc++.i686
I don’t know what went wrong before.

[h]It worries me that I can’t put a finger on the spot where it went wrong[/h]
So this could happen again

Don’t forget to install libicu

yum install libicu.i686

You’ll need that starting it 2015r2

Oh that’s why my app didn’t start with 2015r2
So at some point I will be forced to upgrade

Till now I didn’t because I couldn’t think of a reason.