Web Shared Library File

I’m trying to publish a compiled web project to a Linux web server.

When I access the cgi file the following error occurs: Unable to launch application ‘MyApp’ on port xyz

The following error is in the log files:

error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Did the Linux server specs change with Xojo? I’ve published RealStudio web apps to the same Linux server configuration without getting the above error.

What’s your distro? It seems to be a typical missing support for 32 bit apps on 64 bit systems.

On a Ubuntu 12.04 64bit this should fix things:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Thanks Ricardo. I’ll take this up with my hosting service provider

I’m not sure which distro they use but at least now I have a good place to start troubleshooting the issue.

OK, my hosting service provider responded as follow:

“Our servers will not allow connections on nonstandard ports, nor will we allow applications to spawn processes to run on any alternate ports.”

Does anyone perhaps know of a workaround for the above?

I don’t mind to switch to a different hosting company should it come to that, but would prefer to first see if I can find a workaround since my hosting guys do provide a very good service in general.

The error sounds like no 32-bit support. Often though, hosting provider support will find some other reason to close your case, in this case, a policy reason. Do you have ssh access to the server?

I’m not sure if I have SSH access (never had to log into the terminal before). We’ll get back to you on this one.

[quote=6878:@Alwyn Bester]OK, my hosting service provider responded as follow:

"Our servers will not allow connections on nonstandard ports, nor will we allow applications to spawn processes to run on any alternate ports.[/quote]
Is this a shared hosting service? Sounds like it is. You’re not going to have much success with that. You need a VPS or private server to run WE apps.

Nope. The server is very locked down. Probably due to being a shared hosting service.

Yes. Will shop around for a VPS service provider.

Does anyone perhaps know of a good VPS service provider that they would recommend for Xojo web app hosting?

I’ve used 1&1 with good success (1and1.com), but lately I’ve been working with Amazon EC2. It’s a little more work to setup, but you can’t beat the price, especially since you pay by the hour of use. You can “turn off” a server and it won’t cost you anything, then fire it up again later. And you have almost limitless choices on the OS and packages. Great thing is that with a new AWS account (costs nothing to setup an account), you get the equivalent of one year of a micro instance for free.

I use Amazon too, but costs varies with dozens of variables. I pay US$20 using 4 micro instances with 2 running my internal stuff but a friend pays around US$1000 due to high traffic and large server. You need to know how to setup a server by yourself to use it.

Thanks guys. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Amazon’s cloud capabilities, so I’ll give their services a shot.

I don’t mind spending extra time now if it potentially saves running costs in the long term.

No problem. I’ve set up Windows, Linux and FreeBSD servers in the past.