Web development

I may need to migrate away from Microsoft ASP and Access to… something else.
This last Windows Update the other day created a headache for Access! :slight_smile:

For a long time, I’ve been thinking of dot NET and SQL Server, as web development, but then I thought of Xojo!
Why not use Xojo!?

But then, I now think it can be difficult…
I’m not quite sure, is Web and Cloud the same thing!?
Can I use SQL Server as database!? Or do I use the built in database!?
WHat are the requirement on the server. Will IIS do or do my ISP need to run Xojo Web server edition?
Oh, there are many questions for a beginner as me!

IIS is useable but your probably need to run stand alone versions NOT CGI’s as configuring IIS to run an CGI is tricky as heck because each version seems to require different set ups to work

If you’re hosting this on an machine you control then SQL server should work fine for the database

Nothing beats just trying. If you create a small Web project, you will see how close it is to Desktop you have been using. In terms of programming you should feel home.

Xojo Web is basically the program itself, which you can run on a Linux host, a Windows (including IIs) or an OS X one. Like anything hosted, you will have to upload the program to your web space as you do for HTML, php, perl, etc.

Xojo Cloud is a Xojo Web cgi Linux deployment where Xojo has entirely automated the upload process. So all you have to do is to click “deploy”, and everything will be taken care of until the app is ready to run on the Xojo Cloud servers.

I like the idea of software development, as a stand alone app.
I like the idea of web development, where information can be pointed at a certain location… index.asp?ID=123

Or, in a hierarchy.

I like both ideas! But I think it’s not possible to mix… in such sense that the whole design of the project, of the idea, will be so much different from Xojo web compared to traditional web development.

It’s my impression!!
Also, I like to try with the smaller project, “to play around”, to try things… before changing all I’ve done previously.
I’m not hosting my own sites and the host provide Apache/ PHP and IIS… so, these are the options for me.

Thank you for the input!

[quote=265742:@Jakob Krabbe]I like the idea of software development, as a stand alone app.
I like the idea of web development, where information can be pointed at a certain location… index.asp?ID=123

Or, in a hierarchy.

I like both ideas! But I think it’s not possible to mix… in such sense that the whole design of the project, of the idea, will be so much different from Xojo web compared to traditional web development.[/quote]

No problem. You can very well have a standalone program, and manage parameters such as what you describe, so your app lands on a specific page. All that is managed in Session Open, pretty much the same way you would proceed in Desktop with command line parameters.

For hosting, I tend to prefer Linux, but that is just me.

If you have time next week, you can come to Germany and see what others do with Web development in Xojo!

Jakob, I am using SQL Server and a standalone web app. On Windows, I prefer using ADODB to connect to SQL Server. You can also use ODBC with the native client. Both methods work very well with Xojo. On the plus side for ODBC, Microsoft is readying SQL Server for Linux. The preferred connexion method will be ODBC.