Web app trigger local hd manipulation

Hi everyone
I need precision on web app ( concept )
Does a webapp is able to create folder… change folder name… Move file… write any info on a local HD server
Thanks

[quote=99619:@Denis Despres]Hi everyone
I need precision on web app ( concept )
Does a webapp is able to create folder… change folder name… Move file… write any info on a local HD server[/quote]

If you mean the server where the app is hosted, yes.

Not on the client local file system. For that you would need to have the user install a desktop app on the client side which communicates with your web app as a web service.

Yes on the app hosting server
But can i extend manipulation to other HD on local network, link my the webserver

[quote=99637:@Denis Despres]Yes on the app hosting server
But can i extend manipulation to other HD on local network, link my the webserver[/quote]

If your webserver is on a network and it has access to a remote disk, as long as your app has permissions to do so, it should be able to write to it the same way. You may think of a web app as a desktop app that has a web interface. In terms of file access, you set it through the same folderitem properties and methods.

I’v never work with xojo web app
I guess the folder manipulation occurs same way as a desktop app
So i can re-use my desktop code

Yes so long as it doesnt do anything with the UI / controls. That said if you create a web page with the WE controls on it with the same name as the controls in your desktop app then when you paste the code it it should work.

[quote=99649:@Denis Despres]I’v never work with xojo web app
I guess the folder manipulation occurs same way as a desktop app
So i can re-use my desktop code[/quote]

Yes, folder manipulation is the same. If your webserver is a machine at your location, you should not have to worry about permission, the file system is usually seen exactly as on a deskop app. If the WE app is installed on a remote server, you may not have write or read access to the whole file system.

My concern is about writing path through
( i dont know at this time ) appache web server !!
and ( confirmed ) OSX file server

[quote=99670:@Denis Despres]My concern is about writing path through
( i dont know at this time ) appache web server !!
and ( confirmed ) OSX file server[/quote]

I found that :

https://forum.xojo.com/7073-create-folder-on-a-network-share-drive

If you do not know yet where the app will be hosted, it can be a bit premature. From what you say, seems you are going to attach your web server to the same network as a Mac file server. If both run on Mac OS X, you should be able to build your folderitem the same way. Actually, if your webserver is on OS X, use the Info command on the file server remote folder and you will have the exact path.

If the web server box is using Linux, you will find pretty much the same feature by selecting the remote volume and choosing Properties.

Thank you both
at least i know its doable
Not its up to me to make it work

À cœur vaillant rien d’impossible :wink:

I should mention that the Apache environment under Linux is not that far from Mac OS X underlying Unix. You will find out that terminal commands are mostly identical.

Merci Michel
C’est une loi: souffrir pour comprendre.
But Im back with same concern
let’s say appache webserver to osX file manipulation
So the path must be adapt to linux or osx
or hybrid

[quote=99716:@Denis Despres]Merci Michel
C’est une loi: souffrir pour comprendre.
But Im back with same concern
let’s say appache webserver to osX file manipulation
So the path must be adapt to linux or osx
or hybrid[/quote]

In fact, Mac OS X being based on Unix and Linux as well, the shell path notation will be the same :slight_smile:

Merci