web app on tablet/Chrome can't click listbox

I’ve built a simple web app with a listbox that appears to work fine on the desktop browser. But on a tablet with Chrome, the listbox is ALMOST un-clickable. I’ve tried on a Kindle Fire, a Samsung Tab and an Asus Transformer. The Kindle Fire is the most difficult, but all three are unusable. The listbox looks great and scrolls fine. But tapping on a row does not select the row. On the Samsung and the Asus I can select a row if I use my fingernail and tap about five times in the direct center of the row. In about 60 seconds, I could only get one row to select on the Fire.

So I’m not sure what is going on, but it seems that the mobile browser is requiring some level of precision that is almost impossible to obtain. Now here’s the strangest part. FireFox on the tablets works fine.

Has anyone had this experience with Chrome on a tablet?

Yes I have this exact same issue. I too have a web app with a listbox and the listbox is clickable on my iPhone but not on my Galaxy S5.

Can you try a couple of different browsers and confirm whether it is only a Chrome issue?

Out of curiosity, can you try Chrome on your iPhone? That would confirm whether it is strictly Chrome or if it is a combination Android / Chrome.

Thanks, Anthony.

I just tried it on Chrome on my iPhone and it works fine. It definitely appears to be an Android issue

Very interesting. I can take a case to Google if somebody has any idea what would cause such an odd UI behavior. I don’t really understand enough about how Xojo CGI works to make an intelligent case for what might be wrong with Chrome + Android in this instance.

It’s related to this issue:

<https://xojo.com/issue/23681>

I have workarounds for WebLabel and WebListBox in Studio Stable Web Essentials. Try a demo here:

Tap #2 in the app, then ListBox.

Perhaps I can solve this case?

I had the same error, the solution was simple:

I had a “Mouse Down” - event at the WebPage from the WebListBox. I delete the codings in the Mouse Down - Event, and can’t click anything in the ListBox. After right clicking at the “Mouse Down”-Event and deleting it, the Listbox works normal again.

I think it may be compatibility issue.

[quote=282548:@Thomas Mueller]Perhaps I can solve this case?

I had the same error, the solution was simple:

I had a “Mouse Down” - event at the WebPage from the WebListBox. I delete the codings in the Mouse Down - Event, and can’t click anything in the ListBox. After right clicking at the “Mouse Down”-Event and deleting it, the Listbox works normal again.[/quote]

If you had return true in there, that would certainly do it. It does not mean that is what happened with the OP of this now two years old thread.

BTW <https://xojo.com/issue/23681> has been fixed back in 2014.