Web app hosting question

I’ve never built a web app with Xojo, only desktop and console apps. So forgive the basic questions.

All the apps I build are for in-house uses. For several years we’ve used Podio (owned by Citrix) for a couple critical tasks. Podio is a zero-code database front end web site. I built a couple databases that we use for tracking client materials (checking stuff in and out using a simple barcode scanner), and for our job/project tracking db. They have just announced pricing changes that make it untenable for us going forward, so I’m thinking I should just do this in-house.

One of the features I like about podio is that it’s cloud based so we can access it from anywhere. This allows me to leave work early or do some work while I’m on vacation. When one of my employees finishes a job at the office and a job order is completed, I get an email letting me know, and I can send an invoice from our accounting software wherever I am, without having to wait until the next time I’m in the office.

So I’m thinking web app for this one. I guess my questions are:

If i build a web app can I deploy that on our dedicated server where we host our company web site, or do I have to use the Xojo cloud service? If I can, what form does that app take (like is it a CGI script or something lower level than that)? does it tie into the apache server that’s already running, or does it run its own web server? If the latter, that’s probably beyond the scope of what we can do with our web host. What i don’t want to do is run a virtual server that I have to maintain/worry about in terms of security updates. We are already paying for our dedicated server hardware, and that provider deals with all the OS/Security monitoring stuff. I’m not interested in doing that part so I’d like to run it off that server if I can.

The alternative would be to build a desktop app we run in the office, and connect to a MySQL server that’s running at our web host. But this would mean having to have a a desktop or mobile app, rather than being able to do it from anywhere, on any web browser, which is definitely a plus with our current setup.

Short answer, if you do have a dedicated server (not some shared web hosting type of deal) then yes, you can run xojo webapps, but check the server’s os to make sure compatibility is not a problem and it all goes smooth.

What, exactly, is the app that runs on the server? Does it contain its own web server or does it run in Apache as a CGI or something?

We have a dedicated server running Ubuntu. However, it is not a server we have root access to, and we can’t just install anything on it. So I’d need to know what we would need to install so I can check with the web host.

This

Yeah then that’s probably not going to fly. oh well. I’ll figure something else out.

Why would that be a problem? You just have to specify the port # when you access it. You can have multiple web servers on any given machine. They just have to have a unique port assigned.

security policies at our web host. I can check but odds are they won’t allow it. And I’m fine with that. The whole point of it being managed is so I don’t have to think about that stuff. I have too much other stuff to deal with than worrying about security issues on a web server. My guess is that they’re not going to want to allow that, unless it ties into the existing apache server on the machine, for security reasons.

Apache can be configured to handle it.

Is there an example of how this is done? I couldn’t find much in the documentation except web-specific functionality and coding docs. I was unable to find information on how to set it up. So maybe I missed it or maybe it’s just buried in the docs.

But instructions on how it’s set up and configured that I can send to the support folks there would be helpful.

1 Like

Just a regular xojo executable console app.

The xojo app opens a port (configurable), to accept connections there, if the app can run on the server, you need either open a port for it and access it directly, or some redirection made by the apache server.

You won’t find it in the Xojo docs. It’s Apache configuration. Xojo listens on a port, Apache directs traffic to that port.

ok interesting. I’ll run this by our web host and see what they think, maybe I can whip up a simple app to try on it just for proof of concept. Thanks.