We can't discuss Public Betas?

Why was the Swift thread locked? Xcode 6 is now available to anyone who registers a developer account. It’s a public Beta.

The discussion was not related to Xojo, hence:

Because this is the Xojo forum and discussing Xojo issues related to a public OSX beta may be appropriate, but discussing competing products is rather not.

It was posted in the Off Topic section. Isn’t that what Off Topic sections are for?

Funny, I don’t see other Swift threads locked.

A reason could be, that swift has nothing to todo with Xojo. If you would like to get help for Java or discuss new Java feature, the Xojo forum also isn’t the right place to do this.

When Xojo Inc would integrates an interface to swift than this Xojo-forum has a more qualified interest to discuss the use of swift.

Indeed the Pet Peeves thread has a great relevance with Xojo. That´s why it was not locked.

Worse than Pet Peeve are some individuals who never help anybody, but take every occasion to initiate this kind of unnecessary and sour discussion :confused:

Muting this filth.

Absolutely, because it is a place to maintain social contacts for the most of us single developers, who work until late in the night in our cellars and don’t have time to meet people in real life. :smiley:

I think off-topic is meant for discussions which are outside the Xojo relevance.
Then, I don’t see how a thread can be locked because it is not relevant to Xojo.

Or the channel should be renamed Off-Topic-But-Not-Too-Much ? :stuck_out_tongue:

I understand Off-Topic as non-IT related.

Talking about Swift. When I read it the first time, I got “Johnathan” in my mind, but something was missing.

I got it earlier today: it also was the name of a car (I saw an advertisement for the car, an old one probably).

Also: [quote]We can’t discuss Public Betas?[/quote]
What Public Beta, Xojo never (before) shared Public Beta ! So I read that conversation. ;:slight_smile:

Then it’s probably needed a definition of “on-topic” before creating the negation operator. :slight_smile:

[quote=112383:@Massimo Valle]I think off-topic is meant for discussions which are outside the Xojo relevance.
Then, I don’t see how a thread can be locked because it is not relevant to Xojo.

Or the channel should be renamed Off-Topic-But-Not-Too-Much ? :P[/quote]

[quote=112363:@Shane Gibbs]It was posted in the Off Topic section. Isn’t that what Off Topic sections are for?

Funny, I don’t see other Swift threads locked.[/quote]
How can you not see that certain things shouldn’t be discussed in the Off-Topic section?

Certain types of threads that should obviously be discussed in a different forum shouldn’t be posted on this forum. There are some exceptions because you might want to chat with other forum members because you may like the Xojo community. This is especially if you are talking about a competing product.

Not trying to be rude but I also think Eli Ott is quite wrong. IT-related stuff is good for the off-topic section and accepted by the community and Xojo stuff just not about competing products.

Something like my thread for example, ‘Just recieved my Xojo pen through UK mail’ is relevant to the Xojo community but not relevant to Xojo. I have also seen other threads to connect with people on the community to anounce that they have had a new baby. Another example would be maybe discussing your software from a non-Xojo perspective.

I guess Swift though is relevant to some people in the Xojo community but it shall not be discussed.

[quote=112539:@Oliver Scott-Brown]How can you not see that certain things shouldn’t be discussed in the Off-Topic section?

Certain types of threads that should obviously be discussed in a different forum shouldn’t be posted on this forum. There are some exceptions because you might want to chat with other forum members because you may like the Xojo community. This is especially if you are talking about a competing product.

Not trying to be rude but I also think Eli Ott is quite wrong. IT-related stuff is good for the off-topic section and accepted by the community and Xojo stuff just not about competing products.

Something like my thread for example, ‘Just recieved my Xojo pen through UK mail’ is relevant to the Xojo community but not relevant to Xojo. I have also seen other threads to connect with people on the community to anounce that they have had a new baby. Another example would be maybe discussing your software from a non-Xojo perspective.

I guess Swift though is relevant to some people in the Xojo community but it shall not be discussed.[/quote]
*shall not be discussed HERE

https://forum.xojo.com/4307-forum-etiquette-and-notices

• Do not advertise or promote other companies or their products which may compete with those of Xojo, Inc.
This list is not meant to be all-inclusive and is only a set of general guidelines.

https://forum.xojo.com/4307-forum-etiquette-and-notices/p1#p29965

[quote=29965:@Jason Parsley]Why was my conversation locked?
Conversations can be locked at the discretion of the moderators and administrators in the forum. Breaches of forum etiquette can result in your conversation being locked or deleted.

Why was my conversation or comment deleted?
Conversations and comments can be deleted at the discretion of the moderators and administrators in the forum. Any conversation or comment which is deemed highly offensive (such as sexual harassment, explicit language, or flame wars) will be removed immediately from the forum.[/quote]

Yeah! I’m now a filth for asking why off-topic can’t be true “off-topic”! Gee, These zealots can’t stand it when the sheep turn against the crowd! So far: I’m a troll, constant complainer, basher, and now a filth. I didn’t turn into these overnight! It’s the pathetic actions and excuses that have been made by Xojo that have made me go against the “Xojo can’t do no harm” crowd! Not to mention all the lost promises!

Because Swift HAS been discussed before in the same category!?

@Norman Palardy : Oh, you don’t want people defecting aka loosing your revenue? This forum is a police state.

I’m tired of the toxic soup that the forum has become. Go against the crowd? You’ll never be welcomed again. I’m also tired of waiting for the latest and greatest.

2011: 64 Bit announced (Three YEARS ago?)
2012: iOS support announced, with Beta and Release promised for that year. Nope!
2013: iOS and 64-Bit delayed with Beta and Release promised for that year. Nope!
2014: iOS and 64-Bit delayed once again, with 64-Bit arriving in 2015. I wasn’t surprised. A Beta was promised for the Summer. Nope once ■■■■■■■ again! It’s now in Alpha, and the release promised for holiday 2014. Wow, nearly four years later and we’re finally getting iOS and 64-Bit?

This is a shame, especially since the company did a white paper on the 90 day release schedule and HOW GOOD IT IS!
I’m glad I’m teaching myself Swift and Kivy. You can do so much more with these tools, it’s insane.

Their privately hosted forum is not a democracy. It’s theirs to do as they choose with.

What is truly a shame, Shane, is that you waste so much time telling us how bad things are here.

As has been mentioned many times before - no one is threatening you and holding you hostage to use the Xojo forums. Therefore, it’s very easy for you to leave the supposed “police state” and go elsewhere where your opinions are shared by others.

There are many Swift-oriented forums popping up out there, and I’m sure that you would be welcomed in any of them.

Bashing followed by another variation of competition promotion. It can lock this one again. You guys don’t learn.

Obviously Xojo inc. is not going to accept posts regarding a competing product!

Would you allow a direct competitor of an app which you spent a lot of time and effort to create, to be talked about on your forums - I think not!

Surely people can work this out for themselves, without having to ask???