WARNING! If you use eSellerate, do not participate in bundles.

This is another rant, but hopefully it will save others from facing what we’re now facing. As some of you may know I’m fed up with eSellerate and need to allocate some time to finally dump them, although it’s hard when you still need to develop software products.

We frequently participate in software bundles, but one bundle has resulted in actual negative revenue via eSellerate. We featured one of our apps in a FREE bundle, while it was still tied to the eSellerate activation system. Being a free bundle it was downloaded a lot and each time the product was activated, eSellerate have charged us. Which has resulted in some phenomenally high fees that we were unable to dig out due to their cryptic reporting system.

So if you use eSellerate, you must disable product activation (which is part of the reason why we chose eSellerate) or risk making a loss.

I can appreciate the pain, Sam, but I believe they make it pretty clear, or did at one point, that you can get charged for every activation regardless of sale price. I don’t know what to tell you. Short of creating your own licensing server you are bound to be screwed one way or the other. All of the licensing systems I’ve looked at have strengths and weaknesses.

Indeed - it was my bad to not have disabled it before hand and I highly doubt that they’ll back down (as we’ve tried to negotiate activation charges before). It’s a very painful mistake to make and I’d just like to make sure that others don’t make the same mistake and end up paying to participate in a FREE bundle.

I’d also like to add, that their reporting system is so awkward that I had to have a rep show me how to get a report which illustrated the charges. Gone are the days of selecting payment reports and seeing everything you get paid/charged for. Which I think is actually a very clever business practice as it makes your charges very hard to figure out, and less likely for people to notice what they’re paying for.

That’s really odd. I participated in one deal so far where the payment was made to the company who offered the deal. Then I simply made out a coupon of 100% free and that was it for Fastspring.

Why haven’t you changed your payment processor already???

I created my own activation service where the product is tied to their email and requires them clicking on a link to activate /deactivate their product. Quick and painless and automated. I also created a little app so I can add, activate, deactivate licenses from my desktop.

I used webservices - although it would be quite cool to be able to purchase the web tool from Xojo to really create a sizzling backend.

I always preferred paypal of e-sellerate

I haven’t changed because, I’m lazy basically. I’m concerned how it will affect our existing customers and the existing copies of our apps which feature IAP through their system.

This is the kick in the arse that really makes feel the need to dump them, once we’ve completed our current projects (which are on a tight deadline), I really have to figure out an alternative solution. No more hesitation.

[quote=42196:@Sam Rowlands]I haven’t changed because, I’m lazy basically. I’m concerned how it will affect our existing customers and the existing copies of our apps which feature IAP through their system.

This is the kick in the arse that really makes feel the need to dump them, once we’ve completed our current projects (which are on a tight deadline), I really have to figure out an alternative solution. No more hesitation.[/quote]

I don’t think you’re lazy, Sam, but smart. Having switched registration systems in the past, this is not something to do lightly. Regardless of how easy the transition is, some customers will require handholding. Honestly, that’s one of the reasons why I’ve not switched.

Thanks Bob.

So far eSellerate are not very forthcoming on how they plan to deal with this, which leads me to believe that they’re not going to do anything. Once we complete our projects, I will formulate a plan to move and I will fight these charges.

I’m a fairly nice guy, and easy to deal with… But I don’t tolerate people or companies taking me for a ride.