Video in a window?

Hi,
Could someone please clarify if it is possible to play a small video in a window, without any playback buttons; and if so, what is the recommended format .mov / .mp4 ???

I was under the impression that QT was now deprecated in OS X, so I’m now unsure as to the situation regarding video in a window.

Thank you all in advance.

here is an Example to play Video in HTMLViewer (OSX)

[quote=138317:@Richard Summers]Hi,
Could someone please clarify if it is possible to play a small video in a window, without any playback buttons; and if so, what is the recommended format .mov / .mp4 ???

I was under the impression that QT was now deprecated in OS X, so I’m now unsure as to the situation regarding video in a window.

Thank you all in advance.[/quote]
Xojo replaced its MoviePlayer control last year. It now uses AVFoundation (just like OS X’s current QuickTime Player) and is therefore Mac App Store compliant.

You can set the MoviePlayer’s Controller property to none, which removes playback buttons.

Hi Axel,

Could you provide another link for that Example, that link seems to be broken.

Thanks.

Lennox

[quote=219396:@Lennox Jacob]Hi Axel,

Thanks.

Lennox[/quote]

It redirected to a shameful plug for iPhones at 1€ that looks much too good to be true, linked to a betting site, with a phony list of Facebook contributions …

xDev 13.4, Tips&Tricks:

Tip 1: Use DropBox

I know, many have doubts about the security or privacy of Dropbox (or any of the other Cloud services), but I’m not asking you to put your company’s secrets on there, or even your holiday snaps. Just items that for are for public use anyway, because when it comes to forum postings then you should consider the following true story:

A Xojo forum user had its own domain on which he posted code samples and screenshots that he used on the Xojo forums. At some point he changed providers and also cancelled the domain that he got as part of his old ISP contract. So now the screenshots no longer show in his postings as the old content was removed. However this isn’t the end of it. Unfortunately abandoned domains are being bought up by some less savory elements. When you now click on one of his forum links to download his code samples you are instead brought to scamming sites (they quite possibly also try to install malware on your computer).

To prevent your domain (and name) from being misused and associated with scams, and to keep the forums working nicely, think about where you want to put those code samples, example projects, screenshots, and pictures that you use on the forums (and not just the Xojo forums either).

Search engine ranking is based, among other things, on the number of links made to a domain. I am not talking about stupid contentless link farms as done by spammers. Real posts on social medias, blogs, and forums such as here. I am not referring to the tag line of signatures added to posts, which have been long since discarded by indexing bots.

That can be a reason to use a site to post images, projects and stuff from a folder on that domain. Of course, the domain in question must be stable enough to remain online for the years to come.

DropBox is a wonderful way of posting for free for people who do not intend to maintain a domain. However, I have often observed people deleting after a couple weeks only the content they had posted. Probably because space is limited. As a result, most of the links in the old forum are now broken, and in this forum, many, many Dropbox links have become invalid.

ick … thats all I’ll say

@Michel: I don’t quite understand what search engine rankings have to do with the topic at hand, aka making sure that links in forum posts stay valid for a long time. So I’m puzzled.

I have a DropBox -> Public -> XojoForum folder in which all my pictures, screenshots, code examples etc for the forum posts go.

I had it since my REALbasic days as evidenced by my Dropbox -> Public -> REALbasicForum folder

The total size of the folders is 6.5 MB out of 2 GB available for free stuff (but then I make sure that my screenshots are at low resolution and small size, so each is just a few kB). There certainly is no need to delete anything from there, and I think people who simply delete their stuff are those who simply don’t care. “Nach mir die Sintflut” as a German expression says.

@Norman: feel free to use another service. As I said I’m not asking you to put you business secrets on a public place but only stuff intended for the public. So your reaction puzzles me somewhat too. Do you think Google Drive or Microsoft or Amazon’s offerings are any better where privacy is concerned? Microsoft and Google would like to scan your whole hard disk, so at least Dropbox is somewhat better than that …

I dont use any of them for the same reason

1. they can go away just as readily as a domain I manage
  2. they aren’t trustworthy as far as I’m concerned
  3. they’re intrusive
  4. they’re may introduce new attack vectors to YOUR personal machine

I pay for my own service and add & remove stuff as / when I see fit
If that breaks a link here to something I removed well so be it - I removed it for a reason

I know I regularly clean up my Dropbox
Most if not all of the links I’ve posted that are Dropbox links are now broken. Timi.me links should mostly still work.
I think Dropbox files are much more temporary than a dedicated website link, but that’s just me.

Side note: Dropbox -> Public folders are now a premium privilege and will only work on free accounts that are grandfathered in. Newer accounts must RightClick -> Share Public Link… any file they wish to share now as there is no automatic public folder for them.

Send a PM to Alex, maybe he can post a new link :wink:

[quote=219502:@Tim Parnell]I know I regularly clean up my Dropbox
Most if not all of the links I’ve posted that are Dropbox links are now broken. Timi.me links should mostly still work.
I think Dropbox files are much more temporary than a dedicated website link, but that’s just me.[/quote]
Doesn’t that depend on how you use them? Aka if you don’t delete them then they stay.

Also ISPs often give you free webspace, but when you change ISPs then you have to move to a new site, which breaks your link.

@Norman: Nice if you have your own service (and as it is your livelihood I see it as a worthwhile and necessary expense, plus I’m sure you know how to keep it save and secure and do all the administration if necessary), but don’t diss those who have to get by on free space. I know Xojo tries to appeal to the Professional market and is less and less “for the Rest of us”, but still …

Just like Norman, I happen to have my own domains for business, and if I consider posting my projects on them as a public service, I do enjoy improving their e-reputation at the same time.

Now, we are all different and that diversity is what makes conversations interesting.

Great White is more a placeholder that I pay for than my direct livelihood
Its just a nice way for me to have norman@ that domain and some space to post things
Not sure how I “dissed” anyone but … whatever
I just dont use dropbox etc as I dont trust them first & foremost

mediafire.com seems OK.

Lennox

[quote=219396:@Lennox Jacob]Hi Axel,
Thanks.
Lennox[/quote]

Here it is.
HTML5Player

I have this domain terminated at the end of 2014.
Then, the domain was bought by a Domaingrabber.

Thanks Axel.

Lennox