Version Control?

I’m in the process of learning and setting up version control using Git and Tower. As I work alone, NO team or group, just me. I know that as source are not being shared I do not NEED to have a remote repository. However as I have a server I have set it up to be my remote repository, with NO cost.However if I do with to share with someone I do have a GitHub account.

My question: do others in a similar situation use remote repository or just local? Why?

I think a remote repo is a good idea just in case something happens to your local directory. I am not sure if you do backups or not, that may come into play as well. Pushing off to a remote computer always gave me peace of mind.

[quote=157593:@Jim Smith]I’m in the process of learning and setting up version control using Git and Tower. As I work alone, NO team or group, just me. I know that as source are not being shared I do not NEED to have a remote repository. However as I have a server I have set it up to be my remote repository, with NO cost.However if I do with to share with someone I do have a GitHub account.

My question: do others in a similar situation use remote repository or just local? Why?[/quote]

You also have Bitbucket that allows private repositories w/o needing to invite others and is free. Really good alternative. I use a remote repository as main working schema being a solo developer. I keep my computers synced, have a backup in case of disaster and can keep my local repository working as well when no internet is available.

I use a local repository on a server on my LAN. I do have it port forwarded so I can access it from home or on the road. This was mostly because I wanted to learn more about setting one up, and now that it’s working…

Local, I am single developer. I juts like the control and since I am not having to share code with others it works very well. I am mostly on Windows and use TortoiseHg, which is a front end for Mercurial (a distributed VCS like GIT is).

I don’t use a remote server for my own projects, but I keep about seven backups including off-site backups.

I use SVN locally
Quite easy to set up & run and I can / could move it to a server with full history if I wanted / needed
Decent reference on how to set this up at assembla
http://svn-ref.assembla.com/subversion-server-guide-windows.html
http://svn-ref.assembla.com/subversion-server-guide-mac-os.html

OS X already has SVN installed so you dont even need to grab binaries for a local repository

I use Git on OSX with Github (remote repo) and SmartGit (desktop client)

Me too

+1

I also use BitBucket and it works quite well.

+1 for Bitbucket. I have used it for years and it is a great way to have backups off-site. It has saved me on more than one occasion and allows me to work on two different machines with out missing any files or changes.

Thanks all.