Version Control registering tab stop additions

While there’s no question that an advanced external editor would be useful, Xojo might fear that because if it became very popular, the IDE will effectively no longer be integrated but fragmented. Less users and beta tester’s bothering to use and test the built-in editor means it withers and dies out of the product. Use it or lose it as they say… They want 100% of the user base to stick with the built-in editor so it remains a solid integrated product.

The best option for the IDE’s health is to incorporate good ideas from a hypothetical alternative editor into the built-in editor…

As for the topic at hand, I added my 2bits to the bug report with a found possible trigger and workaround:

[quote]I’ve noticed that this tends to happen to me when I edit only the code side of a window, and never view the layout side of things. Then when saved, lots of TabStop are added and other things “modified” that was not part of the file before hand. Things that the IDE had long since removed or modified get reverted back and forth. In other words, between two commits I’ve actually seen it add back in tons of TabStops, then remove them the next time.

The workaround I found is to simply open the window layout view, nudge a control one pixel and back, then save again. Presto, back to normal… TabStops and other weird changes removed for that window, and just my code changes are there. You must do this to every affected window you were working on…[/quote]

So editing Xojo code in a Text Editor that allows custom syntax highlighting for the Xojo language is a problem?

I’d hazard a guess the syntax highlighting is not quite correct since there IS no published language spec or grammar.
It’s probably “close enough” based on most people’s experience but there are some subtleties that I can be quite sure are wrong.

And it’d be really hard to say “you cant write code in notepad” :stuck_out_tongue:

But that’s not quite what Arbed is or does

Xojo creates a lot of phantom changes in its version control format which makes it difficult to track one’s own real work. Constant rearranging of properties and white space changes. THIS is the subject of this thread and NOT third party tools. I wonder if Xojo Inc is having any plans to solve this issue?

This is how my work looks in SmartGit, a huge list of changes introduced by Xojo only, none is my work. Quite disturbing:

I’ve seen the same behaviour. I use macosLib and from time to time all those files in macosLib is marked as changed, about 180 of em’.
Using SVN.

I have no fear of Arbed.

[quote=29085:@Oliver Osswald]Xojo creates a lot of phantom changes in its version control format which makes it difficult to track one’s own real work. Constant rearranging of properties and white space changes. THIS is the subject of this thread and NOT third party tools. I wonder if Xojo Inc is having any plans to solve this issue?
[/quote]
Yes we do

Huzzah! It took nearly 30 replies and a circuitous route through a tangential issue, but we have landed on a resolution of sorts…

Note I did not say “we’ve fixed it”
We are fixing the issue as we encounter them - some cases of what causes this are harder to track down than others.

We use SVN and see this as well so we know exactly what your pain points are.
And where we’ve isolated the causes we definitely try to resolve them so they don’t cause you or us that problem.