Version 2019 memory problem

The IDE uses a lot of container controls
Does it continue to gobble up memory for you ?

I don’t see any difference between IDEs of Xojo 2018.3 and 2019. The problem is related only to my app.

There is a clear difference, however, between Xojo 2017 and 2019. The former uses around 270 MB at launch, the latter uses around 700 MB.

@Norman Palardy When I open my project with Xojo 2017 and select my MainWindow tab, memory usage is around 520 MB. If I do the same thing with Xojo 2019.2 or 2018.3, memory usage is around 1.40 GB.

have you enabled Support for HiDPI or Dark mode ?
that will use up more memory

I dont see where anyone has asked if this is on macOS or Windows or Linux or ???

@Norman Palardy I am testing on macOS.
If HiDPI and Dark mode are not enabled, memory usage for my app at startup is 117 MB with Xojo 2017.3 and 208 MB with Xojo 2019.2. This seems normal.
If HiDPI is enabled, memory usage is 215 MB with Xojo 2017.3. However, with Xojo 2019.2, memory usage is around 560 MB at startup. And then if I work with my app, memory can go up to 1.50 GB. So the problem seems to be related to the HiDPI property for both the IDE and apps.

I have to take back that the problem with the IDE is related to HiDPI, because Xojo 2017.3 seems also to work with HiDPI, but the IDE does not use so much memory. I also want to add that my Xojo 2017.3 has more plugins than Xojo 2019.2 and is around 270 MB of memory. But Xojo 2019.2 with the same plugins is almost at 1 GB at startup (!)

I asked myself whether the problem is related to third party plugins. However, if I open my project with Xojo 2017.3 with all plugins included, I’m around 520 MB. Now with Xojo 2019.2, even without any third party plugins, I’m at 1 GB when I open my project. At startup, however, Xojo 2019.2 is around 270 MB without plugins. It is only when the IDE is opened with my project that the memory increases dramatically----in the case where there are no third party plugins.

[quote=461631:@Norman Palardy]have you enabled Support for HiDPI or Dark mode ?
that will use up more memory

I dont see where anyone has asked if this is on macOS or Windows or Linux or ???[/quote]

As I said earlier in the thread, It only happens for me with macOS 64 built apps. Windows apps is fine. I did not test on Linux.

No Dark mode, HiDPI enabled on 2017R3 and 2019R11.

I tested with all Xojo versions from 2017R3 to 2019R2. The huge memory usage appears from 2018R4.

I removed plugins one by one up to a certain point (when I had to do more than 3 000 changes in my code) and it changed nothing, I also tested every plugin I use with 2017 R3 and 2019 R11. No difference. The memory usage is identical. The only time when I see memory usage decrease is when I remove container controls from the main window.

Does the Feedback app use container controls ? I am asking because I noticed that the latest version uses a lot of memory, like 2 GB for 15 bug reports open in the window.

feedback uses containers and htmlviewers as far as I know