Vanishing Events

Strange situation here.

1. create a window and place a couple of buttons on it… form them into a control set… (call if btnSET)
  2. add an Action Event (doesn’t matter what the code actually is, just needs to be something)
  3. create another window
  4. copy the two buttons from the first window to the second
  5. change the names of the buttons on the 2nd window to differnt names (like Btn1 and Btn2)
  6. NOW… try and find the ACTION event for BTN1 and BTN2 :slight_smile:

I found I have to save the project, shut down Xojo, and reload then the ACTION event for BTN1 and BTN2 re-appear (of course with the pasted code from btnSET, but THAT was to be expected… it was the vanishing act that wasn’t

I suspect there was a lot of work done on the navigator this past cycle…

While I have not done what you are describing, I have been seeing LOT of glitches in the navigator with different actions in this release… I’m not always exactly sure how to reproduce them as I am thinking about the coding and not what steps I took in the navigator.

Sometimes closing a higher hierarchical item and reopening will redisplay correctly, sometimes I have to save, shut down and restart Xojo…

In case it seems to know internally what the right state should be, so it is the code that displays changes in the navigator that seems to need work.

I am worried that the navigator may be just too complex to get all the kinks out any time soon.

I have actually seen things in this release that were problems in previous release, but had been fixed in the last two, and to see them reappear is disheartening. Things like clicking on a method or event name and having the side panel collapse everything, and put the cursor nowhere near what you clicked… Or to have windows/classes on the side panel expand on their own… Or clicking on a control to add an event, and discover it added the event to the window instead.

Yup, I’ve been tortured today by the old bug of sporadically not being able to add events to controls.

[quote=156969:@Gavin Smith]@Dave S I have actually seen things in this release that were problems in previous release, but had been fixed in the last two, and to see them reappear is disheartening.
Yup, I’ve been tortured today by the old bug of sporadically not being able to add events to controls.[/quote]

Confirmed. This bug has surfaced somewhere in the last versions. And now you sometimes have to quit Xojo and start again to get it working again.

Does collapsing the control and expanding it fix the problem?

No… the only way to get it to reappear without shutting down XOJO, is to do a search for a line of code known to be in the event, and click on it and edit it so the event code changes… this seems to trigger a refresh of the side panel

Just had a similar problem. Copied a button to the same window. Changed the action event. Then ran a debug. Had a few errors. Changed one of the action event. It still had same compile error. However the other button’s action event was ok. Seams the change went to the other button. STRANGE!