Using Copyrighted Material In Application (any Idea)

As a young self-trained developer still in practice, I have been noticing some music playlist apps on the internet and wish to comprehend the matter of obtaining a license or permit to have my own version similar to be published. I have downloaded these apps and enjoy the musical playlist and would want one of my own to be published. The problem is that Google won’t let me release my work unless I have proof of permission to use a 3rd party’s intellectual property. I would like to gain the knowledge and benefits of using the copyrighted material with a license agreement where and how to obtain a license.

You need to find the copyright owner and request permission from them to use their material. They may ask for money in exchange.

Many years go, to use the term “Mac” with Google Adwords we had to request permission from Apple. At that time Apple granted us permission (in writing which I then forwarded to Google).

However last year we were rejected from the Apple Mac App Store as we no longer have permission to use the term “Mac”, and as of yet, I’ve not received a response from their legal team about granting permission.

Yes, but how do you find them. what should I placed in the google search engine?

For that I don’t know, you’d need to figure out who owns the copyright to the song, I assume either the publisher or the artist.

What kind of “music playlist” apps? spotify like?

Apps like these?

ASCAP and BMI license the right to use music & songs in performance or for other uses. So if it’s the music you want, you’ll need to contact them. If the playlist is what you’re after, you’ll need to contact each site directly and get permission from them.

thanks so much.
I’m wondering if this is a auto generated license

at:
https://licensing.ascap.com/?type=digital#content

Keep in mind while it grants you a license to use the music, I don’t know how you get the actual music so you can play it, if that’s something you’re looking to do.

so am automatically allowed to use the music that I want in my android app to be published?
Is this the license from ASCAP that is useful.

I got this message from google before I met ASCAP.

Thanks for contacting the Google Play team.

Status: Rihanna Best Songs (None Original,70 kbps) not available on Google Play

I’ve reviewed your appeal request and found that your app still violates Google Play Policy. I’ve included details below about the specific issue with your app and what you can do to get your app back on Google Play.

Step 1: Fix the policy violation with your app

During review, we found that your app violates the Intellectual Property policy. We don’t allow apps or developer accounts that infringe on the intellectual property rights of others (including trademark, copyright, patent, trade secret, and other proprietary rights). We also don’t allow apps that encourage or induce infringement of intellectual property rights.

You can read through the Intellectual Property policy page for more details and examples of common violations.

For example, your app currently contains:

• Copyrighted music without providing legal proof of permission.

Please update your app to fix this issue. You may also want to double check that your app complies with all other Developer Program Policies, as additional enforcement could occur if there are further policy violations.

This rejection doesn’t impact the standing of your Google Play Developer Account, but repeated violations can result in the suspension of this app or your Google Play Developer account.

Step 2: Submit an update to your app

To submit an update to your app’s store listing information:

1. Sign in to your Play Console.
  2. Select the app with the policy issue.
  3. Select Store presence > Main store listing.
  4. Make changes to bring your app into compliance.
  5. Click Save.

To submit an updated app bundle or APK:

1. Prepare your updates.
  2. Create a new release using the compliant app bundle or APK. Be sure to create the new release on the same track(s) as the non-compliant app bundle or APK, increment the version number, and set the release to 100% rollout.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to add APKs or app bundles, then review and roll out your release.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for working with us to fix the policy issue and for your continued support of Google Play.

I’m sure ASCAP does enough of these that they have the process automated. Hopefully the $ ASCAP charged you will be quickly covered by the your app sales :grinning:

Good luck!

Thanks so much for answering Mr. McKernon. But How are these fee payed exactly.

I don’t know. I would have expected the web site to collect some $$ from you before issuing the license. I can only guess that if they don’t ask for $$, they don’t want any.

thanks again for replying Mr. McKernon

I see where they had ask for money from a credit card but why give me a copy of the license before being payed. Is payment optional or mandatory? Is it a free license?
Please look into it at: License Form

I am not a lawyer.

But it is certainly not unheard of for contracts (which is in essence what a license is) to have fees that are mandatory where you don’t supply a credit card upfront. I don’t know how the fees work, but have always assumed they were based on usage and thus billed in arrears instead of upfront.

I recommend you ask a competent lawyer if fees are optional.