User guide: where are the tables of contents ?

4 books, 657 pages and no table of contents to find easily anything anywhere… Or i missed something ? Please, add them in the wiki ASAP, thanks in advance. Cheers ! :slight_smile:

The table of contents is in the sidebar. But an index would be a great addition.

Ok, your’re right, thanks Richard…

I asked for an index there some months ago, but they said “no”.
Still I’d prefer to have at least one page in the beginning with the links to click on to jump to the topic in the book.

Correct, the table of contents is displayed in the sidebar of your PDF viewer. You can click on it to jump to the specific chapter/section.

The iBooks version has an interactive table of contents as well.

Considering you can just search a PDF (or an iBook) pretty easily, I’m not sure what additional value an index would provide.

[quote=13168:@Christian Schmitz]I asked for an index there some months ago, but they said “no”.
Still I’d prefer to have at least one page in the beginning with the links to click on to jump to the topic in the book.[/quote]
A page in the document with a table of contents would be nice, but iBooks Author does not generate one, so at the moment it’s not practical. I looked into inserting one manually, but that didn’t work well.

I’ve merged the 4 books in one large PDF just for searching. The side effect was that the TOC was lost on the conversion, so I keep 5 books. :slight_smile:

Sometimes search is useful and sometimes an index is useful. They do not do the same thing though. The index allows the user to scan quickly through a detailed list of topics. (I still retain an old pdf User’s Guide from 2010 because it’s so easy to look things up in the index, even if it is years out of date!)

Just in case someone wants a copy of the complete guide in just one PDF, it’s HERE. This download will expire jun/16. :wink: