USB -> VB6.0 -> Xojo ?

Hello, we use a good working USB measurement equipment and our (old) VB6.0 software.
It seems, that it is not possible to work with Xojo via USB.
Now we want to “couple” the USB data stream with Xojo via a short VB6.0 program.
It should store all the data in a file or memory space or database or what ever.
And with Xojo we want to read and display all the data.
How could we do that?

Have a look at this, I just googled ‘Xojo usb’:
http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/realbasic/plugin-usb.shtml

Oh, that seems to be newer. I know that person in reality. :slight_smile:
I will ask him.

But what should i do with the DAQ- PCI cards? That is the same problem.
I want to couple the MS System with VB6.0 and all the drivers and to use Xojo for displaying (without struggeling with all the DLLs ).
So i have to go the indirect way. But how?

Tell us more about this measurement device. Brand, model, etc.

???
Okay!
We use cards like this:
PCI 2517 from mccdaq.com
or the PCI 3001 or similar products

But, by the way. I only want to know how to put the data from the VB6.0 program to the new Xojo software…
I don’t want to write a new Xojo-program to control the cards!

[quote]It should store all the data in a file or memory space or database or what ever.
And with Xojo we want to read and display all the data.[/quote]

OK… how much data is coming over?
How regularly?

If its a short ‘sentence’ you could make the vb app launch the dojo app with data supplied on the command line.

Bigger data: copy it to the clipboard in the vb app and launch the xojo one.

More data?
Create a temporary file , launch xojo and tell it the path on the command line.

I have 20 chanels with 3 byte for 100 times per sec, bidirectional.

Commandline? How does that work?

I would seem like you prefer to use xojo to talk to your device but you couldn’t make it work. Could you explain what’s not working for you, what your problem seems to be?

Maybe someone here will be able to help you and you may end up with a probably better solution than having an application talking to another application because you couldn’t figure out why it didn’t work for you. Just my opinion.

PD: I have followed the link to the page you posted but there is too much information and too many devices there. Maybe you could explain how you are talking to the device in VB?

Julen

[quote=45007:@Julen Ibarretxe Uriguen]I would seem like you prefer to use xojo to talk to your device but you couldn’t make it work. Could you explain what’s not working for you, what your problem seems to be?

Maybe someone here will be able to help you and you may end up with a probably better solution than having an application talking to another application because you couldn’t figure out why it didn’t work for you. Just my opinion.

PD: I have followed the link to the page you posted but there is too much information and too many devices there. Maybe you could explain how you are talking to the device in VB? Do you have a dll, is it recognized as HID, is it recognized as a serial port, …?

Julen[/quote]

[quote]I have 20 chanels with 3 byte for 100 times per sec, bidirectional.

Commandline? How does that work?[/quote]

Thats too many calls too frequently to consider making a vb app talk to a Xojo app.

As already asked [quote]it would seem like you prefer to use xojo to talk to your device but you couldn’t make it work.[/quote]
Is that the case?

Not really. We have to much different hardware in the last years and not the time to write substitutes for huge WIN DLL’s.
It is much more easier to write a data-display-program with Xojo and reduce the old VB6.0 programs to a pure data-transfer-program to a kind of an “interface” (Xojo <-> VB6.0).

I checked again that website and saw there is a dll you can use to access the devices. So, most probably, it is completely doable using only Xojo.

Now, if you don’t wnat to rewrite the entire thing, “pipes” are a way to communicate between Windows applications. I can’t tell you about the VB6 side of the pipe (although I am sure the tons of freely available code out there), but you can find the Xojo side of it here: https://forum.xojo.com/4376-pipes

Shared memory is another way, but I have read it’s more involved and dangerous (in terms of “flow” control, overwritting data, …).

Julen

Ah Okay! That “pipe”-thing sounds good! To code all that different hardware in Xojo, that’s to much for me. With one “pipe” i can use all the hardware.
I will try that. Thanks! :slight_smile: