US Tennis Open

Good luck to all the tennis players competing in the US Tennis Open. Looking forward to watching some good tennis :slight_smile:

Obviously I’m rooting for the two South Africans playing, Kevin Anderson and Chanelle Scheepers.

As a Swiss, I am supporting Roger Federer, obviously.

Yeah, the spotlight is definitely on him for this tournament, to see if he can win his 18th major. He is currently in good form, from what I hear.

And with his draw, he will only play Andy Murray and/or Novak Djokovic at the end of the tournament… should it come to that.

I’m pulling for Roger!

We attend one day session every year, usually the Thursday before the finals. It’s a lot of fun and I highly recommend it.

What is Tennis???

That does sound like a lot of fun Kem.

The benefit of living in New York.

According to Wikipedia…

“Each player uses a racquet that is strung with cord to strike a hollow rubber ball covered with felt over or around a net and into the opponent’s court. The object of the game is to play the ball in such a way that the opponent is not able to play a good return.”

For those who didn’t know :wink:

a sport that is dull as hell to watch on TV - kind of like golf :stuck_out_tongue:

Incorrect. Golf is not a sport.

Although almost nothing in this world is as boring as getting 5h in front of the TV to watch an endless game of Baseball, heheheheheheh

“Sports” should in my view should be something where a person can say “i did better than you …” and be directly measurable with out a “judge” to determine who did the act “better” AND also be some kind of athletic endeavor.

• I threw it further (javelin, shot putt)
  • I ran faster (marathon, 100 metres, etc)
  • I completed the task in fewer shots (golf)
  • I defeated you according to the rules of the game (tennis, badminton, lawn bowling & curling)

The Olympic motto is " Citius - Altius - Fortius." Faster - Higher - Stronger
Not “prettier”

That would mean, if I were in charge, a great majority of the summer olympic events would be out as “sports” and a good portion of the winter ones as well. Gymnastics, while athletic, isn’t a “sport” since there’s no empirical way to measure it and say who did better. (Don’t get me wrong its a VERY athletic endeavor) Neither is ice dance, figure skating, synchronized swimming.

Sports with judges are far too open to collusion and other forms of corruption.

This would say that poker is NOT a “sport”.
Video gaming is not a “sport”.
But, darts would be (oddly enough) as would “fishing” like the bass tournaments etc

[quote=124779:@Norman Palardy]“Sports” should in my view should be something where a person can say “i did better than you …” and be directly measurable with out a “judge” to determine who did the act “better” AND also be some kind of athletic endeavor.

I threw it further (javelin, shot putt)
I ran faster (marathon, 100 metres, etc)
I completed the task in fewer shots (golf)
I defeated you according to the rules of the game (tennis, badminton, lawn bowling & curling)
The Olympic motto is " Citius - Altius - Fortius." Faster - Higher - Stronger
Not “prettier”

That would mean, if I were in charge, a great majority of the summer olympic events would be out as “sports” and a good portion of the winter ones as well. Gymnastics, while athletic, isn’t a “sport” since there’s no empirical way to measure it and say who did better. (Don’t get me wrong its a VERY athletic endeavor) Neither is ice dance, figure skating, synchronized swimming.

Sports with judges are far too open to collusion and other forms of corruption.

This would say that poker is NOT a “sport”.
Video gaming is not a “sport”.
But, darts would be (oddly enough)[/quote]

Yes, why not consider the Surfing as a sport but as entertainment.

The first second I hear “and the judges scores ….” - NOT a sport
Entertaining as heck sure

But WWE is also entertaining as hack but no one would seriously consider that a "sport"

I would add, a sport is where one participant can have a direct impact on the performance or results of another.

Not always though.
In the 100 metres you’d better stay in your lane (both swimming & running).
So your ability to directly affect the other participants performance is not something like tennis where you have to place shots they cannot return.
And you could run a race where no other competitors are on the track at the same time yet you can still directly & empirically measure their performance relative to each other without them knowing the results when they run.

I used to watch loads of tennis (made software for bookmakers), but in recent years I switched to following Badminton. The world championships are currently taking place in Kopenhagen. Watch it here.

I used to watch loads of tennis…

… in my old house. The tennis club was across the street - at least the outdoor courts. All that wonderfull moaning. Does anyone know why this is done only in tennis?

Apparently the moaning (grunting) relaxes the player and helps with the rhythm of how they’re hitting the ball and how they are pacing things.

Not sure why this is only done in tennis? Maybe it also happens in squash?