Upgrading Win XP to Win10

I’m using VMware Fusion on my Mac laptop, with Windows XP installed in Fusion to create Windows installers for my Xojo apps. Everything is working fine, but I am wondering if I should upgrade it to Win10 when I release 64 bit versions of my Xojo apps?

I plan to keep the WinXP VM to continue support for older versions of my apps, even if I make a new VM with Win10 on it.

If I need to upgrade to Win10, it looks like I have to buy an entirely new license for Win10, as Microsoft doesn’t offer an upgrade path from XP. Is this true? Does anyone have any suggestions how to handle the upgrade to Win 10?

BTW, I already have Win10 running on a PC laptop, but I prefer to build installers on my Mac for both platforms…

[quote=215061:@John McKernon]I’m using VMware Fusion on my Mac laptop, with Windows XP installed in Fusion to create Windows installers for my Xojo apps. Everything is working fine, but I am wondering if I should upgrade it to Win10 when I release 64 bit versions of my Xojo apps?

I plan to keep the WinXP VM to continue support for older versions of my apps, even if I make a new VM with Win10 on it.

If I need to upgrade to Win10, it looks like I have to buy an entirely new license for Win10, as Microsoft doesn’t offer an upgrade path from XP. Is this true? Does anyone have any suggestions how to handle the upgrade to Win 10?

BTW, I already have Win10 running on a PC laptop, but I prefer to build installers on my Mac for both platforms…[/quote]

Indeed the upgrade offer is for Windows 7 and on.

I have done some work on the 64 bit installer thing. Windows 10 still comes in 32 bit, so one never knows if the target OS will be 32 or 64 bit. Distributing different versions is a recipe for support requests. A lot of people have no idea if their system is 64 bit or not.

The CreateInstall installer builder I use is able to install 32 or 64 based on what it detects the system to be. So I am going to release installers that will contain both, and they will select what is appropriate. The installer will be double the size or so, but that is the only way not to have peace of mind IMHO.

Chances are InnoSetup can do just the same.

You cannot directly upgrade from XP to Windows 10. I recommend you just get a Windows 10 license and install that into a new VM and not worry about upgrading from the XP VM.

I realized it also made sense to get Win10 64 bit, that way I can have Win10 32 bit on my laptop and 64 bit in my VM so I can test both. So I’ve ordered Win 10 64 bit.

Thanks guys!