Upgrading to Catalina

As a whole handling of anything fundamental seems broken in Catalina. I managed to have 2 data partitions after I broke my Air and reformatted the drive a couple of times.

1 Like

I have upgraded to Catalina and the latest version really sucks. It hangs up and then I have to install it again from the beginning. So, have a complete backup of your every files and then only proceed to Catalina update.

What is anyway a good practice and precondition to make working and bootable backup with Carbon Copy Cloner for instance ;-).

CCC in its last versions works to clone a drive under catalina. even the apple disk utility does not know how to copy itself !

2 Likes

you mean you don’t have any longer to allow booting from an external device? I don’t think so.

if you have a mac with a T2 chip, you MUST allow the external boot as soon as possible. if the system gets bricked for any reason, the main logic board can be unusable, and your datas too ( as they are soldered to the motherboard)

2 Likes

that’s what I meant ;-), and if you want to use CCC in the best possible way (for being able to boot from existing backups, if the system is bricked or not) it is a must to change this default setting.