Upgrading Macbook with OSX 10.6.8

Do anyone know i to upgrade my macbook from OS X 10.6.8??
When i try to install the mac OS X to maverick, yosemite or el capitan in my purchase tab on app store, it say “OS X ??? cannot be install on this machine”

Which exact macbook is it?
What intel chip does it have?

try this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203482

[quote=251547:@Richard Duke]Do anyone know i to upgrade my macbook from OS X 10.6.8??
When i try to install the mac OS X to maverick, yosemite or el capitan in my purchase tab on app store, it say “OS X ??? cannot be install on this machine”[/quote]

If it is the Duo Core white MacBook, like mine was, indeed it cannot go further than Lion 10.7.

It was just the excuse I needed to buy the brand new golden MacBook :slight_smile:

EveryMac.com is also a great place to look up upgradability (including latest supported OS X version) on, well, every Mac.

That is the one… Micheal… i can upgrade to OSX 10.7 and doing it now

On newer MBP you cannot install the previous OSX.
For example: if you buy a MBP with OSX10.7, it is not possible to install OSX10.6 or earlier.

There are hacks to do this. But the easiest way is to install a VM.

The thing I did not like with Lion at the time was that I had to abandon all the apps I bought for PPC (No Rosetta in Lion) .

However, since 10.7 is the minimum for current versions of Xojo, it is the only way to run recent compilations.

Dont update it then
Attach an external hard drive and you can dual boot that machine using the version on the internal HD and whatever you put on the external
You still wont be able to run old PPC apps on 10.7 though

Mostly everyone was doing universal binaries by the time 10.7 came out. I would have considered anything not universal by that time abandonware. It is disappointing though.

It is not quite trivial to replace Microsoft Office, Photoshop, InDesign, Golive, to name a few of the PPC software I used back in 2010 and that I had bought with my good money. Rosetta made their use transparent in 10.6.8, but Lion all the sudden required new versions.

We tend to regard software as an ever changing landscape. Users regard it as an (hopefully) durable investment.

As a professional I was able to write off the new versions, but for personal end users the pill was hard to swallow. Especially since, what a surprise, major publishers had changed version number and charged non trivial amounts to upgrade.

This is now history.

Oh it’s quite trivial to replace Microsoft Office.
There’s a trash can right in the dock :wink:
(jokes)

You know, users love junk food…

[quote=251631:@Tim Parnell]Oh it’s quite trivial to replace Microsoft Office.
There’s a trash can right in the dock :wink:
(jokes)[/quote]
For simple stuff Pages & Numbers are fine
I have some really complex spreadsheets that Numbers and OpenOffice (NeoOffice etc) just cant handle, replicate or replace
I’ve really spent a lot of time trying to use them but they just can’t :frowning:
So whether I like it or not Excel still is a workhorse for me
I buy the updates for it regardless of how much I’d rather not

[quote=251617:@Norman Palardy]Dont update it then
Attach an external hard drive and you can dual boot that machine using the version on the internal HD and whatever you put on the external[/quote]
We have 2 old Mac Pro 1,1 systems that dual boot between the internal disk running 10.4.11 and an external Firewire disk running 10.8.5. The best of both worlds.

I still say that 10.4.11 was the best OS X version that Apple ever released.

My rMBP can boot 10.7 thru 10.11
Very handy

Another point to consider: BootCamp support. If you ever need to run Windows on real hardware (and many of us do), knowing which MacBooks support which version of Windows is handy. Oddly, the list is more exclusive than you might think (a lot of relatively new Macs can’t run Windows 10 officially):

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990