Upgrading an app from 2011r3 to 2018r11

Whoa - we use Arch for a lot of headless server operations, but getting a GTK3 desktop setup is a PITA - reminds me of the funet.fi archie/gopher/uucp and Yggdrasil days back in 1993.

It will obviously be a bit longer on the Arch test …

Of course, it finished as I was typing that last email.

Here’s 18r11 running GasReport:

So you think Heinrich installation maybe missing something?

That’s all that I can think of.

Here’s what I did after the basic installation and network setup the best that I can remember:

pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit
pacman -S mesa
pacman -S xorg-twm xorg-xclock xterm
pacman -S ttf-dejavu
pacman -S gtk3
pacman -S gnome
systemctl enable gdm.service

I then installed cinnamon:

pacman -S cinnamon

At this point, I rebooted, the GUI login came up, I logged in. Downloaded 2018r1.1 and installed in /opt. I loaded the FasReport project from Examples, and ran it. The screenshot above shows the result.

Okay, this makes me shiver. First, thanks a lot, Tim. I use only archlinux boxes in our network, for servers and workstations. But the big difference seems to be the desktop environment. We use KDE on all machines and changing this is a no-go. I looked at what you installed and the only remarkable difference seems to be a full blown gnome DE. I would say you don’t need xorg-xinit (gdm is enough), xorg-twm, xorg-clock and xterm. Could you verify this by removing them via

pacman -R xorg-xinit xorg-twm xorg-xclock xterm

This would only leave gnome as the culprit…
BTW, I don’t see the need for cinnamon - isn’t it just another DE? Forgive my question, I am not familiar with these DEs…

What major changes are there between 2017r3 and 2018r1.1 ?
Direct 2D graphics ?

Emile, this is about Linux, hence no Direct 2D… The code broke from 2017r1.1 to 2017r2. The big change for Linux was GTK3 instead of GTK2 there.

Ah, and @Tim another question:
Did you enable the testing repositories?
Edit: Forget the question - disabling testing and downgrading does not solve this. Would have been too easy :wink:

Sorry, I read Linux and forgotbefore I answered :frowning:

OK, this is really bad. It is the DE, KDE is to blame. I installed gnome on my machine, and using gnome (btw, no need for cinnamon…) all works as expected. When starting into KDE (same machine, same packages installed, including the gnome installation) the code breaks. This is a big problem for me. I can’t change the DE to gnome on all machines - my users would just kill me :frowning:
I will try to figure this out, but… They say that hope dies at last…

Now that you know the problem (KDE vs Gnome) you can create a Feedback case with that information. I hope Xojo can test this issue with KDE and can do something to make Xojo work with it.

Feedback does not run on archlinux :frowning: Seems to be 32 bit and needs libwebkit which doesn’t exist on archlinux due to security concerns.

Are you running Plasma with Wayland? That would be the issue - Xojo apps don’t support Wayland and require the X11 windowing environment.

In other news, libwebkit does exist and works properly, you need to enable multiarch in /etc/pacman.conf. Security issues are a different issue.

Yes, Cinnamon is just a different desktop and theming environment. I just prefer it over the defaults of Unity and Adwaita.

Having KDE and GNOME on the system are not mutually exclusive.

@Tim: no wayland.
And concerning libwebkit - again: no.

harvey@gruenix ~/Documents/scripts $ pacman -Ss webkit extra/epiphany 3.28.3.1-1 (gnome) [Installiert] A GNOME web browser based on the WebKit rendering engine extra/kdewebkit 5.47.0-1 (kf5) KDE Integration for QtWebKit extra/qt5-webkit 5.212.0alpha2-18 (qt qt5) [Installiert] Classes for a WebKit2 based implementation and a new QML API extra/webkit2gtk 2.20.3-1 [Installiert] GTK+ Web content engine library community/gambas3-gb-qt5-webkit 3.11.3-1 (gambas3) Qt5 toolkit webkit component community/surf 2.0-1 A simple web browser based on WebKit/GTK+. community/webkit2-sharp 2.10.9-1 C Sharp bindings for WebKit 2 with GTK+ 3
I guess you mean multilib - yes, it is enabled. There is no 32 bit libwebkit…

FWIW: here is the more technical side of the problem and some further interesting test results.

Taking this further - with my packages above, adding kdebase, kde-packages, plasma, and then launching KDE as my environment, I can still launch the Xojo 2018r1.1 IDE and run the GasReport app.

One oddity - even though I have libwebkit2 installed, Feedback refuses to run stating that it’s not installed.

I’ll report that in Feedback

Hi Tim,
as I can tell from your picture you are using gdm and a gnome session? This works for me as well. It even works using sddm and picking a gnome session. Try to use sddm and pick a plasma session in the upper left of the DM. Then it fails for me.

Glad you could reproduce my feedback problem, though.

That last shot was KDM and Plasma.

Tim, I’m going to set up a new PC and see what I find out. Just to make sure nothing got ‘hosed’ (right word? English is not my native language…) on my dev-PC.

While saying this the archlinux forum brought up the follwing:
The code hangs when the program tries to calculate the screen DPI - this is very related to the display server.
Does this ring any bell concerning Xojo?

Will report back.

Thank you for your help