Upgrade Price (Desktop to Pro) ?

Thanks, Markus! Never too late to learn… :stuck_out_tongue:

When I was at school we had an italien exchange student as our guest for a few weeks. She taught my little brother some Italian. Turned out later when we visited Italy that they were really really bad swear words which would make a mafioso blush

Yes, Dana, I understand, but I think there is no need to make new topic, as upgrade and update are not so far things from each other. And if be honest, I have no idea how yours upgrade plane works. If for example I want after 10 month upgrade from Desktop to Pro, how long my Pro license will extend and how much it cost? Two months by upgrade price (2 months Pro price minus 2 months desktop price) or 12 months (12 months Pro price minus 2 months desktop price)? Or are there other schemas?

But it’s a just a math and I have seen lots of systems, that show one price but after identifying yourself you see prices exactly for you accordingly your licenses and buying history. I don’t need shiver hand nor beg somebody for long time loyal customer prices. That was reason, I wrote my comment. Sorry.

Nice to hear that you and your family were safe in Italy as even mafioso guys afraid or/and shamed your company just for fresh Italian vocabulary your little brother obtained from kind Italian girl. :smiley:

Dana,

a simple search on one of my external hard disk, I found license numbers and dates of RALbasic and Real Studio (*) for both Mac OS and Windows platforms (there was a time the license numbers were different, by platform).

I can send you (at your eMail address) these html files (auto generated by Real Software web servers). I do not saw entries for versions 2, 3, 4, but some entries with license numbers and NA.

(*) I never download the (Expired on 2010-02-23) REAL Server unlimited software (no use, but part of the Pro license at a time), is it still supported ?
(Just curious. And no, I still do not have a use for that.)

Yes, if you would like to look more at the pricing for upgrading from Desktop to Pro, please contact Customer Service at hello@xojo.com.

@Emile Schwarz: i think that part of the problem is that Xojo folds your old licenses into the new one. I remember when I upgraded to REAL.studio 2011 all my older licenses disappeared from my account … I was not happy as I had intended to pass them on …

If you upgrade you would get a NEW Pro license (all new licenses come with 1 year of updates). That new license would be discounted by the pro-rated value remaining in the upgraded license(s), which would be cancelled. That day, the new license would become active and expire in 12 months.

Today I did an upgrade (NOT renewal) of my Lite licence to a Desktop licence. In effect, I traded it in, like when you exchange your old car for a new one at the dealer and get some money for the old car. Except it’s a bit better with a Xojo licence as you can calculate the trade-in value yourself - it seems to be pro-rated on the remaining time left on your old licence.

I’m happy about that but only wish I had done it sooner, perhaps six months ago. The reason I didn’t was because until this thread it was unclear to me that the trade-in existed in this way, so I thought that if I upgraded then I lost the value of the existing licence. The new licence is for 12 months so it expires in a year’s time.

@DanaBrown Perhaps that option needs to be clarified a little on the website.

Why not? Whether or not one agrees wth everything Ullar said this is one of the most sensible and reasonable expectations from any product. You should never have to pay for bug fixes. Features, yes. Enhancements, sure. Bug fixes, never! Any serious product should have an actively maintained LT release cycle that spans at minimum three years. Having to buy an upgrade to a product to fix a debilitating or crippling bug just because your version’s maintence has ended is unreasonable.

I don’t expect anything to be given for free and paying to play is the name of the game but if you can’t play with what you’ve already paid for because of a bug then there is a problem.

Xojo, please listen to this! A long-term release running parallel to a feature release would be a boost for your customers. Fixing bugs only in new releases makes no sense. Having to upgrade from one major release to another to fix a bug while breaking 3 other things is counter-productive.

I like the “trade in” explanation. That really clarifies what’s going on for those who don’t quite understand the upgrade idea :slight_smile:

I didn‘t say I‘m against it, on the contrary, I said it isn‘t going to happen. And you can quite easily figure out why yourself …

Yes, indeed, thanks Dana. It’s logical and pragmatic, but I was more interested about upgrade price logic and still am. How complicated it can be, as even computer can’t calculate it and there is need for personal touch, wasting yours customers and team time?

llar, I think the webpage usually calculate that correctly if it has your information and you select your license. At least it happened correctly with my upgrade from Lite to PRO last year.

Maybe, in this case, because the license was expired or changed from old version.

I think is great that we can contact them by email, if needed. Most of the time is not.

People do not need to contact us to calculate their upgrade pricing. It can be calculated from the Licenses page in your account.

Rather than trying to help people with specific Customer Service issues on the forum, we request to be contacted at Customer Service. It’s easier to help there because people can sometimes be confused by another persons specific situation if it is different from theirs. We are always available by email at hello@xojo.com or the forum, of course. And now during our business hours, we have live chat that we are trying out! So we are here!

I agree - a great explanation that most people can understand! Thanks @Tim Streater & we are glad you are happy with your shiny new Desktop license :slight_smile: