updating window without thread

I understand the concept of timers, but I’m having a problem getting this to work without a thread. I have a window that shows how many files are being loaded. It has a timer that copies text from a module’s property to the window’s static text. The timer is set to 500 milliseconds but it never fires. What do I need to add?

Make sure the mode is multiple (2) or it won’t fire more than once, if at all.

Yep. Fortunately that’s the default because I forgot to check.

Can you post the code you are using?

The timer’s

StaticTxt.Text = YDict.SplshWinText Self.Refresh
In the open event

StaticTxt.Text = YDict.SplshWinText needed = True Timer1.Enabled = True
It gets called in the module like this

Dim ReBDictSplash As Splash SplshWinText = "Re-Building Dictionary Files" + EndOfLine + Str(i) + " of " + Str(Ubound(DictList,1)) + " Files Loaded." ReBDictSplash = New Splash ReBDictSplash.Show
and updated like this

SplshWinText = "Finished Re-Building Dictionary Files" ReBDictSplash.Refresh
Not sure what else to add.

Something seems missing here. Are you running a loop of some sort? Because a Timer only runs during idle time in the main thread, so a loop will block a Timer’s execution.

You shouldn’t need “Refresh” if it’s all working properly, btw.

Yes, the rule of thumb* is a call to Refresh means you’re doing something wrong.

• There are exceptions.

Grumble. It’s in a loop. Okay, that’s why it won’t fire. I can’t get the window to update with or without the timer.

Two ways around that. Put your code into a Timer that runs for x microseconds, then updates the field as it exits. You just have to keep track of it’s last position every time the Timer runs. OR, put your loop into a thread and use the Timer to update the field.

I figured out my problem. Dumb.

That’d mean a separate class or…???
About the thread, I also want to use it on Windows, and aren’t threads banned from updating the UI, or is there a way around it?

A thread should never update the UI. The thread should set properties that a Timer can grab to update the UI.

Do you know if there’s an example?

Never mind. It was easy to find.